Re-coloring tutorial available

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by 46rob, Apr 2, 2007.

1. 46rob

46rob Member

2. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

Thanks for the link, Rob. I had not seen this previously. Great tutorial!

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

it is great! I have been thinking of adding some more designs to winkys squadron :)
  4. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Thanks Rob! I forgot about this one.
  5. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

Spoke too soon! This tut looks new! Nice that you even have some basic cardmodeling tips along with the tutorial. Thanks again.
  6. 46rob

46rob Member

Yes, FG just posted it Monday. Took two years of off and on again (mostly off) writing. Not exactly a high priority project. Lots of things I had to learn the hard way.
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I quickly scanned through that tutorial, and plan on printing it on good paper and keeping it at my work table. Great tips for building, and learning PS.

Thank you!!
  8. hpept

hpept Member

Very good tutorial rob. But there's an aspect that I still can't figure out: how to add writings or patches, or symbols, that span through several separate pieces. I didn't find a way, yet, to match the borders of the portions so that they line up perfectly when assembled. Any hint?
  9. 46rob

46rob Member

Two different approaches:

For most work--where the markings are parallel to the fuslage horizontal datum line, create a virtual "t" Square as a separate layer from two lines six or so pixels wide....make it more like a cross than a T. Measure from either a center point or the edge--whichever is less --to the point you wish to place your marking. Align the t square tangent to the edge of the fuselage section, and then proceed to align your marking with it.

For markings that pass diagonally acrosss the fuselage, make each section into a separate layer, with a transparent background. Then you have to carefully "roll " the parts against each other to align the tangents of the point on each edge together. Then cut and paste in your markings and merge each markng segment with it's apropriate fuselage segment.

Hope this helps. there was so much info I could hav put into the document--I had to pick and choose, otherwise I'd never have finished it at all.
  10. hpept

hpept Member

This definitely makes sense in theory, as it's how I would do if I had the cutouts in my hands, but I have some difficulties in figuring how to do it virtually without slipping the parts between each other. I have no particular software tools to do it, and I think it can be done only by hand.

Sure it does. I found your tut very helpful. Thank you again for dedicating your time to write it and sharing with us.
  11. 46rob

46rob Member

Try using GIMP--it's freeware that emulates Photoshop in a lot of respects.

With it you can do all of what I've just described. do a web search for download sites.
  12. 46rob

46rob Member

I've added another section to the tutorial, explaining two different ways I separate insignia and lettering, and align them with individual sections. There are other ways--but I'm comfortable using these two methods.
  13. hpept

hpept Member

Thank you Rob!!! What can I expect more than a tailored tutorial?
  14. 46rob

46rob Member

Anything for a friend
  15. k5083

k5083 Member

The most difficult thing when you are doing insignia and lettering across parts occurs when they are on conic sections that are radically tapered (so the developed cone has a highly curved edge) AND they are split across two such sections with different tapers, so that if you lay the two sections next to each other and place the marking where they meet, the marking will be distorted and some of it will have to be cut out.

Another difficult problem is getting a straight line across, say, four or five sections of a fuselage, like a pinstripe or panel line that runs all the way from nose to tail, and getting it straight. Even with Rob's T-square device this can be very tricky.

As a last resort, sometimes the only solution (referring here to Rob's excellent tutorial on designing a model) is cut and try: Do a test build of the model, draw the markings on it (or apply stickers or decals if you have or can make them), then take it apart again and scan the pieces as a basis for the final markings.

16. 46rob

46rob Member

In that type of situation--you have to remember to curve the marking consistent with the lines of curvature in the conical projection. Without some really trick software--it would have to be done carefully by hand. I didn't feel that I wanted to get into a lot of that, as I was tryng to pick and choose only those things that would be appropriate to the level I writing for. There are a lot of other considerations to think about, when applying markings. Most problems can be solved intuitively. Using the methods I wrote about-- I have not trouble applying a marking across multiple sections. The key is practice in using the techniques.
    There's no substitute for doing test build of the sections, though. One of the things that I do, is to print two copies of the test build...I build one, and then on the other, I make notations as to corrections needed. It's real easy when looking at the model to confuse right from left and top from bottom when you're comparing it with the screen. Writing it all up on a sheet (and double checking it) really helps.
  17. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Recoloring Tutorial

Hi Rob,

THANK YOU for your efforts - this tutorial is very comprehensive and easy to digest. I will try to practice this method at my computer when I have a couple of days in a row. It would be very good to have the knowledge how to change the colors and certain textures.

Great work, Rob!
    All the best,
    Bengt :D
  18. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Your tutorial is fantastic! I have reread it a couple of times in the past couple of weeks and I find it helpful. I like your newest parts about aligning markings across seams.

I wonder if this forum should have a HELP section right up on the top where things like this tutorial could be posted ?

-Jim G
  19. 46rob

46rob Member

I actually tried to post it to this forum--but everytime I tried to upload the 2.5 M pdf--the upload failed (probably timed out). Best I could do was get FG to publish it and then post a link to it.
  20. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

It would probably work if you were to split the pdf into two files.
    The pdf upload only seems to work if your file is under 2Mb.