Rc Paper Forum

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by paul a, Apr 10, 2007.

1. paul a

paul a Member

should there be aforum for RC paper models
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Yes, there should be but only so long as it remains on topic for paper models.
  3. goney3

goney3 Member

I second that motion :)
  4. paul a

paul a Member

I feel it should cover all of paper modeling . as long as the project is 95% card stock,card board,copy paper.OR some other paper prouduct.as to how it is designed that is up to the designer.
  5. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Seems like a very limited arena for a seperate forum to me. I don't know how to vote though, because it may be a minority, but the topics in said forum would be so specific as to possibly warrant it so the information doesn't get lost...

Gee Wally, I dunno.....
  6. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

It would be interesting to see R/C paper models - some interesting design challenges, but I'm not sure that it would get a lot of traffic. WHat did you have in mind - aircraft, boats ? I can't imagine a sub working very well - paper just wouldn't stand the pressure (A bit like me really ;))
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Being selfish... I'll vote "yes" once I have an RC model myself :D

Definitely works for ships. Subs won't be too hard, but aircrafts poses big challenges. I think I've seen "foamies" on the FG site, don't know if that counts
  8. k5083

k5083 Member

I would think that RC ships and even cars/armor would be feasible and welcome, but realistically the focus would likely be on airplanes.

Two ideas to broaden the interest in the thread:

1. Make it not necessarily RC, but just functioning vehicles in the sense that they move under their own power, e.g. free-flight airplanes; motor-driven but unguided cars/armor, boats, etc.

2. Include vehicles designed for paper but built in some other medium. I realize this theoretically steps on the "extended mediums" [sic] forum, but these would be distinguished by being RC/functional.

Just some thoughts. I don't really mind either way.

9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I think the specifity (i have no idea if thats a word) is why it warrants its own section. There are several sections that get little traffic but are highly targeted. I like the idea of adding motorized or whatnot - kinda like that putt putt boat idea I saw on the google group a while back.

There is a model of the sr-71 out there that flies, i would like to see that one r/c :)
  10. paul a

paul a Member

I like the under its own power idea
  11. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Card-Mecha . . . good idea. I would be behind that.
  12. goney3

goney3 Member

Same here :)
  13. paul a

paul a Member

The rc red hawk project mike said will be flying soon. That will be in the right direction for rc card aircraft.
  14. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Powered models would make sense, now thaat y'all mention it. I could see several applications... R/C, rubber band powered, air (as in the aforementioned SR-71), etc....
  15. paul a

paul a Member

the sr71 would make a great pusher in rc
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Powered Card Models

Card-mecha, Paper Perpeetum Mobile paper models, CO2-powered card planes, Tellurian Orreries that go on forever, Lockheed SR-71 balloon-pressure rocket planes, hi-tech outrunner electric motor-driven RC card planes, rubber-motor card planes or boats, ekranoplanes, etc, etc -
    why not? It would be great fun!

I think it merits a special forum, like it does over at the Fiddlersgreen Forums: http://www.wsam.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=18&sid=7aa497ab5196da1e69b180a337db5866

Go for it - flow with the times . . .
    Bengt :D

Edited in: Check out this Win Media video clip of the flying FG Fokker Dr. I (a 'foamie' made from the paper model pages) - wouldn´t you like to try it, if it was made out of card?: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580000
  17. paul a

paul a Member

why not I live in pittsfield ma ge really messed up this area with its plastics paper is a lot more freindly.
  18. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

I'm for it!

19. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

RC SR71 Photo What Not TO Do!

Big gear openings=BAD, BAD!!

Here are a couple photos failed SR71 with retracts.. Wings balloon up at almost high speed taxi! Gear doors keep flapping around (not good for flight).

At 40 ounces, it isn't going to be easy to get flight speed by hand launch!

So current projects are leading up to some of the problems with the earlier tries!

Last photo is of current power sources that still need models around/attached to them. Those are 3" I.D. feedtubes! 2 each Li-po 12v 2200mah 16c batteries...Yes, they soon will be flying in a SR71.
  20. paul a

paul a Member

so to get a new forum were do we go from here? the power by ti self is the best idea in this catagory I feel it should be put in to concideration.