RC drifting

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by vette_7t9, Jan 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

Im interested in RC drifting. How do you set up a car? Can stock nitro RS4 do it?
  2. dudex

dudex Member

you have to set it up so that it will lose traction when turning at high speeds. try fiddling with the camber and you can probably get it to drift.
  3. mastmec

mastmec Member

You will need a stiff suspention, rubber tires, and a front one-way works wonders.
  4. Tc3racer

Tc3racer New Member

my electric tc3 will do it if i start takin the cornor slow, and then give full throttle half way around the turn, looks wicked cool
  5. You need almost plastic tires so you can skate on the tarmac easily, yokohama has the stuff
  6. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

Setup is actually easier than you would think. as danny said stiffer tires will help but if you go to stiff it will be uncontrolable, ideal setup is to have a stiffer suspension in the rear than in the front. this will make the back end a little looser alowing you to start the drift. a true drift is started before the corner and is maintained by feathering the throtle, a power slide is when you go into a corner with all four wheels holding traction and then break the traction with power. To get the drift going before the corner steer a little bit away from the direction of the corner to lighten the car up then steer back into the corner, and once the drift is going hold it with countersteer and throtle. it takes alot of practice to get the true drift down but it is realy fast especially if you can hold it through s bends. linking the drifts from corner to corner is the tricky part.
  7. rcosmax, what kind car you got, can you make a street force drift , w/out the suspension settings
  8. TEE

TEE New Member

can someone tell me, i was thinkin that i could take the drive shaft out of my tc3 to make it just rear wheel drive. cuz ure car has to be rear wheel drive to really drift. u cant drift with 4wd. would this work?
  9. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

I think it should...but 4wd can also drift. The Subaru WRX (the real car) is 4wd and I have seen it drift on tv. I think it was the Speed Channel that was showing a drift contest, it said in Europe drifting is becoming a sport...it looked cool. Good luck and have fun with your drifting project.
  10. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

4wd are actually ideal for drifting because the front wheels pull the car back into line if you get out of line while doing the drift. Sure you can drift without doing suspension changes, as danny said all you need is a little stiffer tires in the back than in the front. I have a modded racing rs4 3 and a pure ten 11, i think thats what american market calls it(v one s11)in japan. Getting the drift down is all about setting up for the corner and countersteering and feathering the throtle. I do it with super grippy foam tires on race days but it get expensive to practice with those tires (even still with those grippy tires I have slightly harder compounds in the back.) to get that drift going a bit easier. If you can, practice on offroad cars as it is much easier to get the feel of setting up the drift on dirt surfaces. have fun!
  11. What kind of compund do you want mcompound or what kind, I also figured if you are driftin in circles that having the outside suspensin harder it is easier to staert to drift
  12. NitroDRIFT

NitroDRIFT New Member

go to rcd.zip.to its all about rc drifting
  13. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

awesome awesome!
  14. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

i just drove my mini RC without tires. its a blast. before, it used to understeer so much, now im making beautiful tight figure eights with tail slides. WOW
  15. How can you drive w/out tires, on your rims?
  16. jlmoreno911

jlmoreno911 Member

Nitro...What is "rcd.zip"??

Vette...what do you mean you just drove you mini RC without tires??
  17. vette_7t9

vette_7t9 Member

yup slippin round on me rims! I got bored of it cuz long slides arent possible with a stock mini RC and is really hard with a modded one, so i decided to stick with tires.
  18. Doesn't tht get boring
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.