Ray's layout party#6

ezdays

Out AZ way
Wow, typical Ray stuff, all of it supurb. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Great detail Ray. I will be pleased if my party is just a faction of how sucessful yours is turning out.:wave: :wave:

zedob

:thumb: :thumb: And I thought I had a list of things to do. Love your trees. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Ray Marinaccio

Thanks Guys,
I've been working on the Honey-do list, but got some valve gear parts made for the Rivarossi 0-4-0.
The trees are made similar to Gary's http://www.the-gauge.com/thread17782-uh-noobie-with-a-tree-tutorial.html but use weeds and roots from the backyard and home made ground foam.
I got a few new projects at the club swap meet.
A P2K E8, An IHC C-415 and an SP Daylight P2K PA and PB to give to my son for his birthday, I'll have to tune them up before I give them to him.

Attachments

• Feb09$03.JPG
    Feb09$03.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Feb09$06.JPG
    Feb09$06.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 131

Ray Marinaccio

CharlesH. said:
That sure is a long list! What percentage of it do you think you have completed, Ray?
Most of the projects are more than half completed, some are a box of parts and a plan.
Most of the ones that are half completed got set aside until parts could be located, now that I have alot of the parts I need to get in gear and finish them.

Ray Marinaccio

I made a little progress on the Rivarrossi 0-4-0.
The cross heads and main rods are modified L/L parts.
the rest of the parts are scratch-built.
The parts in the second photo are formed from steel wire around jigs and soldered.
A low friction pick-up system was built for the tender.
It uses Atlas wheels that transfer the power through brass journals fit into the stock journals and tied together with apiece of solid strand copper wire.
Jumper wires are run from them to a small plug on the front of the tender

Attachments

• Feb10$04.JPG
    Feb10$04.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 132
  • Feb10$07.JPG
    Feb10$07.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 131
  • Feb02$42.JPG
    Feb02$42.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 133
  • Feb10$09.JPG
    Feb10$09.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 130
  • Feb10$08.JPG
    Feb10$08.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 130

TrainClown

That's the ticket, Ray. That's just the sort of job I have to do. How do you make the small rivits? On a lathe, I suspect, but what are the steps? Please :D

TrainClown ;)

Ray Marinaccio

Chris,
To make the rivets I first turn a piece of brass stock to the dia, of the rivet head, then turn it to .002" smaller than the dia. of the hole in the outer most part to be riveted to the length of the width of both parts to be riveted plus .015".
Next I turn the rivet to the dia. of the hole in the innermost part (.005 less than the outer part) to the length of its width plus .010".
I then use a centering drill to drill into the end of the rivet that will be crimped (about .005").
The rivet is then parted from the brass stock .020" from the end of the second cut .
Now the hard part, finding the rivet that just went flying as it is cut off.
Having photos would probably help the explanation.

Ray Marinaccio

Here's a project that I am doing for my brother. He found this on Ebay for around $20 we had no idea what make it was until it arrived. We thought it was an IHC and were buying it to part out for the panagraphs. It turned out to be made of brass by Lambert.
One of the trucks needs soldered, a tune up and a little touch up.
It will most likely be resold.

Attachments

• Feb13$40.JPG
    Feb13$40.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 153
  • Feb13$41.JPG
    Feb13$41.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 154

Ray Marinaccio

I have the valve gear completed on the Rivarossi 0-4-0.
I just need to mount a coupler and some details on the pilot, wire it up and paint it.

Attachments

• Feb17$07.JPG
    Feb17$07.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 150
  • Feb17$09.JPG
    Feb17$09.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 150

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Looking Great My Friend.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

Ray Marinaccio

I made a draw-bar, put the boiler on and have been test running the 0-4-0.
There's a slight bit of gear noise I want to work out and add a cab floor.
I may also add a constant intensity headlight.

Attachments

• Feb22$10.JPG
    Feb22$10.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Feb22$05.JPG
    Feb22$05.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 127