RAR Woes...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by THE DC, Dec 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE DC

THE DC Member

Could anyone advise what would be the best software to access RAR documents?

The DC
  2. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

Check with microsoft or google RAR and you will get all kinds of info that you may need.:cool:
  3. londonbluemisty

londonbluemisty Wayne P

I use 7-Zip to unpack all my Formatted files it is completely free unlike Winzip and others which have a limited trial time or maximum file openings before stopping and asking to purchase a license.....

4. Just use Winrar it is free to download.

5. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

6. Darwin

Darwin Member

Winzip is well worth the modest purchase price....even opens up lha and lzh files.
  7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

WinRar- free and works on all the stuff we play with.
  8. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

9. kneedeep

kneedeep New Member

10. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

Winrar. Free and never stops working
  11. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Just get winrar... it opens up zip and rar files.
  12. kneedeep

kneedeep New Member

winrar IS NOT free, why pay money for software when you can get free software?:cry:
  13. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

Winrar is free, even after the trial it still works, all you have to do is ignore the please by me warning.
  14. THE DC

THE DC Member

Thanks but ALZip is no longer free:

ESTsoft Licensing Policy Changed
    (October 20, 2008)~November 31, 2008December 1, 2008~ALZipHome UserFreeALZipALLPurchaseCommercial UserPurchaseALLPurchaseALFTPALLFreeALFTPALLPurchaseALSeeALLFreeALSeeALLPurchaseALShowALLFreeALShowALLFreeALSongALLFreeALSongALLFreeALPassALLFreeALPassALLFreeALToolbarALLFreeALToolbarALLFree

15. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

ive been using winrar for years(never paid) and never had a problem.
  16. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Echo the comments on WinRAR. It's completely free, you can ignore the warning, and you can view the files in a window before you extract them, to whatever folder you want. It's a great program and I've used it for at least eight years without a problem.
  17. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Winrar is free... it has 'nagware' which constantly reminds you that you should pay for it. It's up to the user to either pay and remove the nag or keep using.
  18. think-floyd

think-floyd Member

I remember installing ALzip to open one single file, and hating every second of it! every second thing it does is trying to get you to download more ALwhatever software, and I just found it pretty unnecessary. I would completely recommend getting 7zip, it opens every conceivable compressed type (apart from that ALzip format), and is completely free, clean and simple to use. The program itself is rather small, and its actually a lot faster at processing compressed files than both winzip and winrar. That's my two cents anyway!
  19. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Faster that WinRAR? *That* I would like to see. WinRAR is lightning fast on my computer, as in less than a couple of seconds to decompress files, so 7zip would be hard-pressed to beat it. But I may be the exception to the rule in this case.
  20. mysteroid

mysteroid Member

Just FYI, if you visit the WinRAR website you will see the product is definitely not free. The license cost is $29 US per installation. Just because it continues to work after the trial period does not mean it is free to use. Rather, the company has made the strategic decision to allow continued use after the trial period in the hopes their generosity will yield a sale. In the past, WinZIP's licensing model worked in exactly the same way. Whether or not they care about continued use is irrelevant, continued use is in violation of the software license.

All that being said, there are several free as in free beer alternatives, no cost or guilt necessary. I use IZarc as has already been suggested. I used to use 7-Zip which works great as well, but doesn't cover quite the scope of compression formats that IZarc does.

I've read several rather heated threads on this forum about design piracy. I would certainly hope the community's sense of justice would apply not only to the products of model designers but to those of software engineers as well.

Just my 2 cents, and I'm sure that's about all it's worth.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.