Rapido uncoupling ramps

ppt1969

Sep 21, 2007
Trumbull, CT
boothemrs.tripod.com
Does anyone have information on creating uncoupling ramps for N-Scale Rapido type couplers. I have a large number of cars with these old style couplers and am not interested in switching to Micro Trains couplers at this time due to financial constraints.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I know Model Power used to make an automatic one years ago. But with the popularity with MT coupler I think they stopped making them. Might be able to check with your LHS, or since I see you're a local, I'm sure that you could find one in one of the bargin boxes at either the Cheshire show, or even the Big E show in January.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
You could make one yourself- It is just a ramp that fits between the rails. You raise it up so it hits the pins of the coupler to uncouple.
you could use a cord to make the ramp go up from your control panel--or you could make one using a solenoid coil. There was a company that made one years back call B&L, I think that was there name. Not very many Rapidos used today, as most everything has a knuckle type coupler of some type.

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
It was B&L, and I remember seeing an auction for several of them on eBay in the last week or so. That auction would be over by now, though.

In terms of making your own, to trigger the pin, a shutter release cord that was used for older non-electronic film cameras might work. The release actually was a pin, so you might not have all that much work to do.

Choke cables might work, and might be easier to find.

steamrail

Jun 5, 2007
Queensland Australia
Best bet is the Peco SL330 uncoupler, made for Rapidos and works just a well with Knuckle couplers, cheap as chips $3au for two.
They dont come any simpler than this, I have them all over my layout, can also be used with the PL10 Switch Motor.

Cheers
Dave.