Range of TMCC remote....

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by MCF, Dec 15, 2005.

1. MCF

MCF Member

Approximately, what is the effective range of a TMCC remote? Do you have to be right next to the setup or could you be across the room (~10-15 feet)?
  2. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

you should be able to be accross the room. That's what it is made for.
  3. MCF

MCF Member

Does there have to be 'line of sight' between hand held unit and reciever. For now, it's likely the reciever and transformer will be hiddin in a back corner behind the xmas tree.....if 'line of sight' is required, then the TMCC does me no good.

4. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

Questionable question. Depends on certain factors. I can go into another room and it will work. I have a spot in the train layout room where it has to have "line of sight" or it seems not to work. I think my body shields it in that case. It will depend on the make up of the materials in your walls and interference. Normally, no problem in a large room and, as I stated, from another room.
  5. Roger B.

Roger B. Member

When TMCC first came out I read an article that when demo'ed at York Neil Young was outside the tent controlling the train. Also at shows it is necessary to change addresses of equipment or frequencies due to interferrence from other TMCC layouts, if present.
  6. Geno

Geno Member

I belong to Angel's Gate Hirailers club, located in San Pedro, CA. Our layout is approximately 20' x 100', and the TMCC command base is centrally located in the middle of the room. We can be at one end of the layout and still control trains abour 2/3's of the way down the layout (about 75') without pointing the CAB-1 at the track.

7. FiveFlat

FiveFlat Member

I believe the TMCC is infrared, as opposed to wireless. (infrared in like your television remote) So yes, you would have to be at least in the same room and in line of sight. Like your TV remote, you should be able to control your train from 50-60+ feet away, provided the controller and receiver can see each other.
  8. Roger B.

Roger B. Member

The TMCC CAB-1 unit uses a radio signal to communicate with either a PM, base station or the newer ZW. The base station converts the CAB-1 signal to the digital signal that is carried throughout the layout on the common wiring and thus the outer rails of the track. The common wiring and outer rails act as transmitter antenni.

There are situations where interferrence is sometimes found, i.e. tunnels built with screen or chickenwire; a track over another; some structures.

On my layout I have had to add an extra common under the layout in one area to strengthen the signal to the engine and some others where I have to hold my CAB-1 antenna below the plane of the layout due to structures. I also have an engine service facility with a brass frame holding lights that interferred and had to "ground" the "steelwork". My layout is in a metal building thus I can't leave the building to see if it'll work.