[Random Nonsense] ...Earthquake...

Discussion in 'Zealot Archives' started by Lex, May 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Bad year for China... First a snowstorm, then all that fuss about Tibet, and way to go, now we even have an earthquake! I'd expect the death toll to rise to at least 50000, hopefully I can trust the Chinese reports this time. --Lex praying for the victims...

And also, if you ever see this in the skies... RUN!!!
    YouTube - 30 mins before the 2008 Sichuan earthquake in China
  2. Trekcreations

Trekcreations EnterpriseCreations

Since we are adopting form China, one of out first thoughts after praying for the victims was weather or not the orphanages were safe. We received confirmation yesterday from our adoption agency that the orphanages are safe.

My heart and prayers go out to China.
  3. logicman

logicman Greybeard

the world is with you at this sad time

with tears for your losses

prayers for the bereaved

and praise for the rescue services.
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

My heart really goes out to these people. It's unfortunate that so many died and were injured. You can't help but think that if the construction method were a bit more advanced maybe more people would have survived.

Gald to see that China is finally acepting help from other countrys.
  5. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Scary ain't it. Over 70,000 dead in Burma and now unknown number of thousands dead in China. All within the last few weeks. Scary.
  6. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Yeah, real scary. We had a couple of small tembolers here, but nothing like what occured in China. I keep waiting for the big one in Cali, or the one clser to here to crack apart. I've lived through three Earthquakes, but never anything like that. It would seem that there are signs pointing the way to what's ahead. It aint gonna be pretty.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

No country is better prepared for earthquakes than Japan...! :D I had a friend from high school currently staying in Chengdu, he said small quakes are still happening, but they're told to stay in buildings and to not panic, really scary feeling... But I think the situation is way better than 30 years ago in Tangshan, we're at least clever enough to receive international support :D --And it's especially heartwarming to see all the Chinese societies in our university raising money for the victims.

...My best wishes to Burma too.
  8. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Yeah, sure has been a terrible year for China! The scale of the destruction from the Sichuan earthquake is almost unimagineable. Tens of thousands dead, and millions homeless and jobless. Tonight I read that some rivers blocked by landslides are threatening to burst their banks and flood areas already hammered by the quake. :(

It has been really encouraging to see the Chinese gov't response. Thousands of PLA and rescuers pouring in with heavy equipment and supplies. Many rescuers working with their bare hands. The gov't didn't handle the freak snowstorm so well, but from everything I've seen, the response to the earthquake has been first rate - in stark contrast with the Burmese gov't's reactions to their mega-disaster.

Let's hope the Olympics come off well, China deserves a lift to cap off this awful year.
  9. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I watched a documentary on the Discovery Channel and I know you're right. The Japanese have been on the forefront of Earthquake proof construction for years. It's amazing what they've done in the field.

I feel for all these people, especially the ones in third world countrys that are controlled by despots and that wont allow supplies to come in and when they do the military arm often takes the majority of the supplies. It's repugnant.
  10. logicman

logicman Greybeard

On the bright side:

After the earthquake in Armenia, I saw something strange in London.
    Russian embassy officials, usually such a hard-hearted and humorless bunch, in tears at the response in aid to Russia's problems. I am convinced that this was a contributing factor to the upsurge of good relations between the USSR and the west.

Lex, I agree: China, as represented by officialdom, has the intelligence to welcome assistance kindly meant and freely given.

As for the scumbags who purport to represent the good people of Burma:
    I'm a pacifist, but when I see officials denying aid to suffering people, I begin to understand why Mr. Kalashnikov has such a huge global fan-club.
  11. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Same thing happened in 1999 when Turkey experienced a massive quake, and the first to respond was ancient enemy Greece. Then, a month later, a major quake struck Greece, and Turkey was the first to respond. This episode of "earthquake diplomacy" did a great deal of good for Greco-Turkish relations.

Back to the terrible Chinese earthquake - the first international rescue team to rush in was from ... Japan (a country that is far from popular among Chinese). I hope this didn't go unnoticed amidst all the other heroic activity. Speaking of heroes, the PLA has really distinguished itself, as has Premier Wen Jiabao, and the scores of civilian volunteers working around the clock.

Some other good news: tonight the news says the blocked rivers did not flood the area as feared.
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Death toll is 35,000 now... China has also started a nationwide mourning for 3 days:oops:.........
    Apart from donating for the red cross, I (and other cardmodelers in China) also plan on doing something different... --Making models in tribute of the victims and rescue workers
    ³«Ò飺ÓÃÎÒÃÇÌرðµÄ·½Ê½±í´ï¶ÔÔÖÇøµÄÆíµ»ºÍ¶Ô¾ÈÔÖ¹¤×÷Õߵľ´Ò⣡ - Òµ½çýÌåÐÅÏ¢(News of papermodel) - cardmodel.cn Papermodel¡¢Cardmodel¡¢3Dcard¡¢3Dֽģ¡¢Ö½Ä£ÐÍ - Powered by Discuz!
  13. logicman

logicman Greybeard

What a wonderful idea, Lex.

I have admired you hong meirin design. I'm sure you can design something suitable for the sad occasion.

I like the figure with a candle - it's meaning and emotions pass easily through all man-made national and cultural barriers.

14. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Oh sorry actually it's not my design, I must give credit to Lily on ppxclub.com forums, who is a capable modeler and designer. I am simply building the model ^^
  15. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Sorry for the mix-up, Lex.

Am I allowed to blame babelfish?

16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

17. Trekcreations

Hey Lex,

I'd like to add a special prayer for China to my adoption website, and I would love to include Lilly's design. Is there a way I can contact her for permission?
  18. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Hi Trekcreations, I'm contacting Lily right now, but she already said before that her design was not up to the quality of being released publically yet... So it might be difficult, but I'll try :)
  19. Trekcreations

No problem Lex, and thank you for contacting Lily on my behalf. I really love her design, and will certainly wait for an official release if so forth coming :)
  20. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Well, I had a reply from her saying that she is making adjustments to the model, and then she will post it onto public domain... So there's much to expect ^^
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.