ran away

Discussion in 'RC General & Getting Started' started by ericmcgehee, Mar 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ericmcgehee

ericmcgehee Member

what is the most effective way to keep my truck from running wide open when the batteries go dead in the truck? i was told the spring is better and 40.00 cheeper than the failsafe.
  2. ericmcgehee

ericmcgehee Member

also, how long should the batteries run the servo's before they need changed to be on the safe side?
  3. mastmec

mastmec Member

If your RX batteries go dead, a failsafe will not help, definantly use a throt return spring. Charge you RX bat. before running for the day. A failsafe will protect your investment if for some reason you loose signal, which does happen. Hitec just came out with a FM RX with built-in failsafe for about 50 bucks. A failsafe is cheaper that a blown engine or somebodys shin.
  4. fail safe is for the loss of transmission
  5. monsterrcbuilder04

monsterrcbuilder04 Active Member

hobby people has an xtm fail safe for $19.99
  6. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

What are you talking about? (a failsafe wont help if your batteries go dead?) The is exactly what the failsafe is designed for! If your batteries drop below a certain voltage either signal (tx) or reciever(rx) the failsafe will aply the brakes and prevent a bad crash/destroyed car. The only situation a failsafe wont help in is if suddenly the battery pack is disconected, or there is signal interference on the same frequency. Failsafes are an absolute must. The smallest one is the ofna micro failsafe (about the diameter of a dime and 1.5 cm thick.) many other companies make them but are larger. Futaba makes a good one too but it is much bigger, venom also makes a bigger one. regardless they are a must and will save your car. You should also never remove the throtle return spring as it will help you if the battery pack gets jarred loose.
  7. mastmec

mastmec Member

If you have no voltage, the failsafe does not work. Thats what I meant. I didn't say he didn't need one.
  8. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

If you have no voltage your failsafe is not working properly! Failsafes stop the vehicle when either the rx or tx batteries drop below the specified level. this voltage level is above what the car actually needs to opperate. If your failsafe is working then your battery can never go dead because the failsafe will have applied the brakes and stopped the car making it impossible to drive. So, a working failsafe will never let you get to a voltage low enough where the brakes cannot be applied by the failsafe switch, and it certainly will not let you get to a no voltage situation.
  9. mastmec

mastmec Member

I am refering to no voltage as a broken wire or battery ( no voltage). Yes, your right about low voltage. I was getting off track as this is what just happened to me the night before my first post on this thread.
  10. rcosmax

rcosmax Member

ahhhh! sorry. I understand now! you are absolutely right! my mistake. There really is no replacement for a throtle return spring. I have seen people that have removed them have very nasty crashes. My friend asked me to tune his inferno for him and I took it to a nice big peice of dirt and suddenly it went absoltely crazy! It screamed off towards the only road around but luckily it hit a little bump and swerved left and went of a very big dirt mound into the bushy/jungle. luckily it ended up on its lid and stalled out otherwise the engine may have blown from overreving.... problem....exactly what you said the battery pack had shaken loose and 0 voltage (I understand what you were talking about now) He had conveniently removed his throtle return spring before giving the buggy to me. :)
  11. dj6666969

dj6666969 Active Member

who cares about size (unless you have a small nitro maybe a car) a failsafe is a failsafe they all do the same your batt. goes low it will shut the throttle you go out of distance or lose the signal it will apply the throttle. D@MN it would have been killer to think up something as powerful as a failsafe. If I was to buy a nitro I would defenatly buy a failsafe (if it doesent come with 1)
  12. redheat

redheat Member

Back to the batteries, Dont no what your running but if it is a T-maxx for example standard batteries should be check ever hour or two those servos go right threw them your best bet would be to get a 1100mah hump back that'll put out a strong 6volts and last much longer.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.