Rails pop of true track switches

Scoobie

Feb 21, 2006
Circle Pines, Minnesota
Hey Gil, I would check to see if the switch is laying flat, if any dirt or something is under the track causing it to pop out, and maybe some thing is loose. Are these snap switchs?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
The True Track is Atlas' "roadbed track", but the track and ties are actually sectional track ("Snap Track") that can be removed from the roadbed.

Gil - is it the ties and rail that are coming loose, or just the rails (i.e. rails separating from the ties)?

If it is just the rails, I would suggest that the turnouts are defective and you should return them to wherever you got them. If this is not possible, you can glue them back down to the ties with an epoxy-type glue, making sure they are in gauge when you do so.

If it is the rails AND ties that are lifting from the roadbed, make sure the turnout is not being flexed or warped as Scoobie says - the turnout should lie flat.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
"""Gil - is it the ties and rail that are coming loose, or just the rails (i.e. rails separating from the ties)?"""

Yep snap switch....the rails on one and the short set in the curve, both rails on that. The ties are OK.

A few straight section I have glues the rail/tie to the bed as they were always coming lose.

The Atlas track book says they are made to come out of the bed for use later on if you want to ballast your own. But I dont think they had this in mind. I am emailing them about it.

I think these are used switches I have had in a box for a while but were OK when put away.

Still, I taped the switches and will work on them when I have more time.

Thanks.

Hows the lay out coming Jeff?

Show me some scrimp & gritts by the way.

A good one.

atlu0480.jpg

A crude pic of mine with missing rail

atlasswt.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Gil,

If it is the rails coming off the tie, then I agree this is definitely NOT what Atlas had in mind...! ;) My suggestion would be to return them if at all possible.

Andrew