Railroading on vacation

Kevinkrey

Jul 27, 2006
Saint Paul MN.
Last week I was on a fishing trip in Northern MN. I brought some MR mags, ad set up on the front porch of our cabin. Heres my setup and my view out the window.

I also got in two rounds of golf. And on the second course, I heard a train, a CLOSE train. Two holes later I found the track, about 10-15 yards from the hole. I had my camera, and If the train would have been 30 min. later, it would have been a great video.

Attachments

• DSCN2407.JPG
    DSCN2407.JPG
    114.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN2408.JPG
    DSCN2408.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 7

train1

Jan 19, 2005
ontario
I do the same thing. A fall cottage trip with friends and spouses - and dogs. Good hiking, gourmet meals. No TV or phones. The others bring books and I bring all my 'to do' projects and ideas. No interuptions and lots of work done. I swear that my modelling equipment and stuff takes up alot of valuable space in the van.
Here's me in action...look no stress
DSCN1414.JPG

Actually this photo is almost 2 years old - note the evil cigarettes in the photo.
And here's the usual mobile workshop.
DSCN1397.JPG

FiatFan

Jul 16, 2004
Trains are incidental to my vacations. If we happen to run across a train museum, etc., that's fine but we seldom plan a trip just for trains. For example, last fall we went to New Orleans and toured the French Quarter and walk along the riverfront. While we were there, KCS was running a transfer freight so I snapped a few pics. Most of the almost 500 pics we took were non train related.

We have talked about riding one of the Colorado narrow gauges on a future trip but that's still in the idea phase.

Tom

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I always work it in if I can. For Hawaii a month ago, I made it to the museum at Ewa. For England last year, I visit two preservation railways, caught an excursion, and visited NRM at York. For Europe the year before, I tracked down the 30" gauge railroad at Jenbach (steam powered) and got my money's worth out of a eurorail pass. I can only recall one major vacation that didn't involve operating steam locomotives...and only a couple smaller trips that didn't involve steam engines.