Railroading conflict, need opinons!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by I_LuV_AliyA, Jan 8, 2005.

1. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

IMHO you both are right. Model Railroading is a hobby and an art, even if some consider it folk art. You brother wants to do it in his style and you in yours. Many a club has broke up over such differences in artisic opinion. Pity you both can't have your own layout, that's the real solution you know. Have you talked to your parents? They may have to play cops in this. But it's not about who is right or wrong because in this case neither of you are either. You know, Thomas and friends were done by and older man and his dad and they made more money selling the books and copyrights than I will ever make unless I win lotto several times. Fred
  2. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

I LuV AliyA

I find nothing wrong with your posts, I can read them. Maybe the ones complaining should get that new "Hooked on Phonics" kit. or is that "Hooked on Ebonics"? :D

You and your brother are both right. The only difference is that he is an Engineer and you are a Rail Baron. :thumb:

You two have to work it out, maybe the beating that someone suggested is too much, how about a wrestling match for respect, would that work?

Either that or make him a 3' x4' layout, a loop of 18" radius track with one turnout for the spur to the engine house. Grab a cheap kit and make him a station and engine house. Let him play to his hearts content.

I bet when yours gets to the point where your friends come and say "Wow, what a cool layout. :cool: " (or whatever you young guys say - I am 50 so not up with teen talk, :D ) Your brother will change his attitude.

in the mean time, try to have fun.
  3. I_LuV_AliyA

I_LuV_AliyA Member

lol don't worry, ya'll still got it!

well weve had our share of beatign the crap outta eachother, but not over this... my dad said that i can do wat i want on the railroad because i know wat im doing.

so we got it cleared up!
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

There was that time my brother got his point across by stabbing my in the head with a plastic fork.... :rolleyes: Now that I think of it, maybe it was that incident and not the overindulgient 70s that gave me dain bramage... :p
  5. LIRR

LIRR Member

What generation gap? Im the same age as him and my posts are fine. It just comes down to how much effort you want to put in.
  6. ausien

ausien Active Member

could you work aroun each other`s schedual, when he`s playing with thomas and friends, could you either be some where else, i.e. on a bench painting or building somtheing, or even play with him, and then when he`s away doing something else you could do your barroning bit to the layout, I think when he can see the results of what you have created he will get down and help you...

as for the spelling... I am not the worlds formost expert on that,and I get by with my yr7(1st yr high school) education, and the tollerance of the people the read the stuff I wright, I left school when I was 13, my wife has tryed to teach me to spell and so has my son( both are teachers) and teaching this old dog new tricks dont work toooo wellllll....have a good one..steve
  7. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Well here's a challenge this only child never had to deal with! I had a 4X8 in my bedroom and it was MINE all MINE!!! :) I can see how sharing a model railroad (are you sharing it or is it considered yours?) between two brothers might be difficult, especially when they have such different views of the hobby. My memory of the Thomas the Tank Engine layout for the show is that its beautifully scenicked and the structures all look very convincing and prototypic. I should wish for such modelling skills! Maybe you could point this out to your brother when he wants buildings left unpainted. If it is a shared layout...perhaps you could arrange a time share with hours for each of you to run uninterupted. If its your layout...I suggest getting some support from the folks at home. :)
    Good luck!
  8. rcline

rcline Member

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL he he he LOL he he he LOL
    Al wighe it tim fer me 2 cnts LOL he he he
  9. docsnavely

docsnavely Member

LIRR, I was always taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. If you don't agree to what he is saying, typing or doing, skip this thread. Your negativity isn't needed. We are for the most bunch, a group of kind adults who enjoy each other's postings. Age and grammar aren't the issues at hand, it's maturity.

I_LuV_AliyA, Take everything you can from this forum. There are so many great things you can learn here, it's astounding! As for your brother, as someone else said, hopefully he'll move on to something more squishy soon! :thumb: :D Then you just have to worry about when he regresses back into wanting to play with those model trains (just like almost all of us did)!!! :wave: Take care,