Railroading conflict, need opinons!

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by I_LuV_AliyA, Jan 8, 2005.

1. I_LuV_AliyA

I_LuV_AliyA Member

Well. as some of you know i'm 16, creating my HO scale layout on 4x8 whihc has a turn table. my Brother 18, is very intrested in Thomas the Tank engine. And on the model railroad hes only worried about playign with his eninge making lil stories about the gang meeting new engines and working, stuff liek the show. Scince this is his only motive out of the model railroad. He inturupts me in my work, by requesting me to leave items like Turntables,eninge sheds, etc. all the bought items from Hornby unpainted to just add them in the railroad and leave it. BUT they look like cheap plastic.

I'm trying to make everyhtign fall into place, make it look good, make an adult professional railroad. with opperating scheems, and rollingstock that needs to be dilevered to diffrent locations. So and so.

but my brother only wants the lines to play thomas up and down, like a story. and hes says the model railroad is for playing.

Playing - PLaying with ur trains means running them. hes 18 dont u think its time to run it proffesionaly?

I eman id luv to live the past time with my bro making up lil stories. but if the hole concept of this railroad is for that, then no. i built this rail road wanting to show it at shows. i intead to do that.

Whos side would u take?
  2. siderod

siderod Member

Maybe, you can work it out with him...do you have a use for anything he wants to include? With a bit of paint, they can be made to look good, and then both of you would have a piece of the layout.

Or...you could work with him, building him a layout, or a diorama or something for him, so you can both have a layout, and can both share this hobby.

Personally, i wouldn't take either side, but if i had to pick, i think i would side with you, as you are trying to create a realistic area to work in...HOWEVER, i can see the light at the end of both your tunnels...

I hope you can both get your differences resolved...Good luck, from one 16-year-old to another! :thumb:

AR :wave:
  3. jetrock

jetrock Member

18 and still heavily into Thomas the Tank Engine?

Thinking back to 18...primary interests were girls, beer and D&D, in descending order...in terms of time actually spent on such things, in ascending order.

Odds are it won't be an issue for that much longer. Normally 18 is about the time one hangs up the trains for a decade or so in favor of more squishy pleasures.
  4. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Who's building the layout? If it's you, build it how you want and give him a loop of track to set up on the kitchen floor.
    Personaly I find that my time is much better spent building my layout than 'playing' with it. The novelty of running a train aroud and around wears off but when you are building there's always something new.
  5. I_LuV_AliyA

I_LuV_AliyA Member

ha hes sitll been watchign his favorite cartoon shows scine uhh 10 y o???

u'd think that he dramaticly change? yah.. NO...

thanx for supports.
  6. ScottyB

ScottyB Member

Hate to be blunt, but you are in the wrong forum. Try this forum instead for your problems.

Back to talking about Model Railroading everyone...

7. Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek Member

I'm happy to think that you're not joking. When I was 18, pretty much the big worry for me and my buddies was if and when we would be sent to VietNam.

8. LIRR

LIRR Member

Please use a spell check before you post, please? And your brother sounds like he has some stuff to work out, Playing with thomas stuff at 18?
  9. siderod

siderod Member

This is most definatly in the right forum...it's a direct question about what he should be about a problem he has encountered while building his railroad, and how he should go about solving it...Besides, it's in the general talk forum, so things don't need to be completely on topic.

10. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

When I was 18, I was already on active duty, and Viet Nam wasn't an issue yet.
    I have no problem with bluntness, but I think it should be reserved for use after all else fails.
    I_LuV_AliyA...... Unless one of us is a liscensed counselor, and can help you in a one-on-one dialog, I have to agree that this is not the best forum for this issue. Resolving problems between brothers is best left to professionals, or parents, or both.
    Spell check? we don't need no steenkin spel chk! Besides, speaking for myself at least, we've all made some spelling errors at one time or another, and the "spelling errors" look to me to be more of a shorthand, that you see on a lot of chat boards.
    We still get a laugh out of seeing Thomas run on the modules, and the kids LUV! it. We all need to let our inner child out once in a while, but our adult needs to be there to control that child. We can do better than this has been so far.
  11. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

:D :D LIRR, Good Point - It does make it easier to understand with spell check. :)

I'm 46 & still collect & play with Thomas Trains :) And Star Wars collectables, Star Trek Collectables, Antique Swords, Movie Swords... Etc Etc Etc..........

It's all in what you're interested in...... btw - I'm really upset that they took Bugs Bunny off the air around here - I'm stuck Watching The Kids Next Door & The Powerpuff Girls :( Oh yeah & Johnny Bravo........
  12. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

I am 20 & I have thomas the tank engines trains, and every once awhile i get them out and play with them. :D Yes i collect them and I have the movie. :D There is a child in everyone no matter what he/she age may be. Yes i have to also agree on the spelling.

Anyways, :wave: Have A Safe & Wonderul Weekend Everyone :wave:
  13. Lightbender

Lightbender Member

Oh dear, I'm 58 and not only do I have a fondness for Thomas but recently I have taken to trying to make up stories and acting them out on the layout.

I do have 2 train video cameras, 1 remote pan & tilt, 4 stationary and 3 camcorders on tripods. I also have a small collection of lowlux B&W video cameras some with telephoto lenses.

What this means is that unlike your brother I can inflict my childish behaviour on my friends at the touch of a VCR tape.

I have 3 brothers and as annoying as they sometimes were I have fond memories now of those days as we all live many thousands of miles from one another, UK,Oz,BC&Ontario.

Enjoy your brother, enjoy your trains and do it your way when he's not around. Now you must excuse me as The Hogwarts Express is leaving and I have pictures to take.
  14. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I wish at 18 I was into something other than what I was into. I was a carney making too much money and spending it all on medicinal herbs and related pariphenalia. While I still had model trains as a hobby back then, it didn't hold sway over me as much as it could have.

Tell him enjoy the Thomas on his own road but you're willing to work out a per deim and trackage rights agreement until he gets his first loop up. As for me, my Thomas needs to get over at the next siding before my Cab-forward, pulling a PFE string of strawberries, stomps him, Annie and Clarabelle into a grease spot on the roadbed. ;) :thumb:
  15. I_LuV_AliyA

I_LuV_AliyA Member

Ummm yah.. this kinda IS about my model railroad.... Did you read my post?:confused:
  16. I_LuV_AliyA

I_LuV_AliyA Member

I have no problem with my brother, or playing with thomas on the line. but that is his ONLY purpose for this railroad. So when i try to make items such as Hornby engine shed fall into the scenery by painting them (so it dosnt look like cheap plastic) he alwayz comes in and says "oh thats not nessecary, all we need it is for the playing part", "Thats the purpose of a model rail road."

Now no S**T! You don't make a model rail road to let it sit there, ofcourse you run your trains over it. BUT half the fun of it is builiding it. And his worry abotu playing on it alwayz interupts the building.

Does that clear up what im trying to say?

Im asking: Who's Side would you take?, Why? And What you think is the purpose of model railroading.

Excuse the spelling, i type fast.
  17. I_LuV_AliyA

I_LuV_AliyA Member

:( look foward to seeing replies... not rude remarks..
  18. siderod

siderod Member

I think the "spelling errors" are more of a generation gap thing...i can understand most of what you type (some gets by, but i blame the texas acent)...most of the people that read these posts are "older" people, as in not teenages, like we are.

I typed like that for, at most, a month...found it took more effort to type like that then it does to type "normally"...i watched my uncle (professional graphic designer) type for an hour or 2, then i sorta self-taught myself...i can now type faster then the keyboarding instructer in the computer class at school, and i have better accuracy then he does too **end gloating**

Back to the topic at hand, i think that modelrailroading is really the untimate hobby...you get to learn social skills, geography, geometry, electrical, math, and much much more. I enjoy running my trains, proto switching ops, etc...but i also really enjoy scratchbuilding, kitbashing, building kits, working on my rolling stock and locomotives to get better proformance, and building the layout itself. With you and your brother, could you talk to him and explain what you want to do with your layout and see if he'll understand. If he doesnt, calmly tell him that you would like to build this the way you want to, and if he's interested, you and him could build one together and have it the way he wants.

I hope this doesn't come off as a rude comment, just offering my opinion.
    Hope you get things sorted out...arguing sucks the fun outta this great lifestyle we lead!

19. jetrock

jetrock Member

In my experience, there are few problems in life that brothers cannot solve by the simple act of beating the crap out of each other until one of them says "uncle."
  20. brakie

brakie Active Member

Or as in my case my 3 sisters ganging up and beating the crap out of me then telling Dad I started it. :eek:
    I also agree with what Shaygetz said:

Tell him enjoy the Thomas on his own road but you're willing to work out a per deim and trackage rights agreement until he gets his first loop up. As for me, my Thomas needs to get over at the next siding before my Cab-forward, pulling a PFE string of strawberries, stomps him, Annie and Clarabelle into a grease spot on the roadbed.