Railroad name help needed

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by JimBrown, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Hello all!

Over the years, I've come to realize that I am lacking a bit in the imagination department. I'm great at technical things, but I'm no "artiste". Heh.

For about a year now, I've been struggling to come up with a suitable name for a small layout I've just started constructing. To help keep what little sanity I have left, I am soliciting your assistance with said name.

Here's the track plan:

It is 4' x 6', is HO, is freelanced and is set in the late 50's and 60's era. It will mainly be used to teach myself various techniques, both building and operating, before I tackle the big one when I retire in a few years.

The one stipulation I have is that the word "Rockland" should be in the name. (If you're observant, you may notice why. Hint, look a bit to the left. Heh.)

Looking forward to your suggestions, all of which, I'm sure, will be miles ahead of anything I've come up with so far.

Thank you,
  2. railohio

railohio Active Member

Rockland Clockwise Belt Line
  3. steamhead

steamhead Active Member

I've got a great one....!!! The Rockland RR...!!

A note: With your traffic flow going clockwise as shown, you'll be running engine-forward into the first three tracks in the industrial area. It's gonna get kinda' frustating after a while - running into a dead end.

Good luck..!!
  4. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

How about Rockland Regional RR. or Rockland Industrial RR.?
  5. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Do you have any type of unique scenery features planned for you layout? As a very simple example a simple turtle in a little creek could give you the name Rockland Regional and Turtle Creek.
  6. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

How about the Ontario and Quebec Railway (Rockland subdivision).
    Or pick one of your locomotives and it could be the CPR/CNR/NYC/Santa Fe (Rockland sub.). That would simplify the lettering problem.
  7. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

Rockland Industrial Interchange ( R.I.I.)

8. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Rockland Interchange Park...otherwise known as the R I P...or R I P Railroad - Ship it on the rip'r route.

(OK...guess I'm really bad at this name creating thing.)
  9. brakie

brakie Active Member

Here's my ideas.

Rockland RR

Rockland Ry.

Rockland Connecting RY

Rockland Terminal RR.

Rockland Rail.

Rockland Switching Services.

Rockland Industrial Belt

Rockland Belt Line.
  10. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Hi Jim,

Didn't notice before you are just east of Ottawa... Ever get out to OVAR or any of the other Ottawa-area clubs?

Anyway, my thoughts (in keeping with the regional nature):

Rockland & L'Orignal

Rockland & Ottawa Valley

Rockland & Brownsville

Cumberland & Rockland

(They're all railway, since this is Canada ;)

And some more generic:

Rockland Terminal

Rockland Industrial

Hope that helps,

11. PWRR-2207

PWRR-2207 Rogue Islander

RR Name

How about?

The Rockland Runner Railroad, bringing you the three R's you are looking for - Reasonable, Reliable and Resourceful - in providing the services you need today to reach your goals tomorrow.
  12. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

My home layout is going to be a model of the Los Angeles Junction Railway better known locally as the LAJ. It is a short line that operates in the cities of Vernon and Commerce near Los Angeles and services industries that ship and receive freight from both the U.P. and BNSF. Historically, it used to serve the S.F., the U.P. and the S.P. It is a wholly owned subsidiary of the Santa Fe now BNSF. If your railroad is serving local industries receiving freight from more than one local railroad, you could call it the Rockland Junction RR.
  13. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

To get you thinking slightly differently...

Central Railroad of Rockland? The reporting mark might pose a problem, as CR and CRR are already taken.

Union Railroad of Rockland? UR is free.
  14. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The Rockland Belt Line? A circular (more or less) railroad around Rockland that joins with and carries traffic between (among) all the other lines in the area. Like the Illinois Harbour belt, which I think circles/avoids Chicago.
    Could use its own power or let other roads run on it.
  15. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Rockland Atlantic

Rockland Pacific

Rockland National
  16. Triplex

Triplex Active Member

Rockland National doesn't sound like a North American roadname - maybe somewhere else in the Commonwealth.
  17. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Jim, just a reminder, don't forget to tell us what name you decided on. It looks like you have a lot of good choices posted in this thread.
  18. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

How about the Rockland Area Industrial Limited, the R.A.I.L?
  19. Russ, not to worry, I'll let everyone know what I end up deciding on.

A big thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far! They have been thought provoking. :)

Keep 'em coming!

20. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Although not the USA, was thinking of a Northern American Roadname such as Canadian National, the land of Railways? Thats where I got the inspiration.