railroad club dismantled

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
There is good and bad news in everything so they say.. well the bad news was received a month ago. The building that we were renting the up stairs for the last 12 years or so was sold. The new owner advised the club that he had not made up his mind as to what he was going to do, but early in January the club was served with a 30 day eviction notice. For the last month we have worked hard to save as much of the 900 sq foot layout as we could, buildings, track and switches. Some of the scenery areas were taken apart carefully and boxed up. Well Sunday was the last day so we all gathered at the empty building, had our last meeting.
Now the good news !! We managed to get another site, this time it is with our local city museum area. The only request of the city was to model some of our local area which includes an old logging site as well as a small part of the town where the real railroad runs through. We have aprox the same square footage of layout available so now its onwards with finding an appropriate plan and let the building begin !!!!! Ron..

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Sorry to hear about losing your old place, Ron. That's something we hear over and over about clubs. I guess the only answer is to own the place yourself or get a long-term agreement in writing?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Wow, a new beginning! And you will be attracting "outsiders" to the hobby as well! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Gee, I wonder where people who do what is their rite, rather than what is right, I wonder where they go, I wonder where they go when they die. hmmmmmm I'll bet it woulda cost him a firtune to let you guys rent for another month or two, before evicting.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ron,While that is indeed sad news it has a happy ending..Your club found a new home.:D

Should our club ever have to move we would be hard press to find another building..You see most buildings the rent is so high that we could not afford the rent.The gentleman that own the building pass away some time back but his daughter has honored our yearly lease and has not raise the rent as she feels that the club is good for the community due to the open houses we have for the local charities such as our food drive,Toys for Tots and other community charitable activities.I mention this not to blow our own horn but as a suggestion for other clubs that it might be wise in doing the same thing.You never know it may help in the end.