railpower 1300 power pack

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by jimbogibbo, Jun 14, 2007.

1. jimbogibbo

jimbogibbo Member

I have made purchase of one of these rail power 1300 power packs. And today I was researching buying another for another train set ind see that it is ok for ( ho & n scale ) trains and I have been running an 027 with this one for some time. Is their abetter controller for the 027 ?:confused:
  2. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

is the 1300 a AC or DC power? what kind of o27 trains? if the 1300 says for ho and N, i dont think id use it for 027.

n and ho run on dc power, most o scale run on AC. there are dc only o scale, and a few that run on both ac and dc. but most are ac only.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

lionel made some engines that was dc only in the 1980's, and ho pack will run them. they come in the cheap cheap cheap sets.
  4. pgandw

pgandw Active Member

All the AC 3 rail engines without electronics will run just fine on AC or DC (and many with non-command electronics will do fine too, but there are exceptions). Horns or whistles on AC engines will sound continuously on DC, so need to be disabled.

I am surprised you haven't run into overload issues with the Rail Power 1300, though.

You don't say what vintage your O27 trains are. I am assuming you have an AC engine with no horn or whistle. My favorite transformer is the Lionel 1033 or 1044 (90 watts input) from the post-war era. Plenty of power for a small O27 layout. Available reconditioned for about $50 at shows and stores.

my thoughts, your choices
  5. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i have a 1033, its a good transformer. and you can find them for under 50.00 on ebay all day long. but if you have an engine that smokes, the 1033 is weak. wont hardly make any of my engines smoke at all. but i have an sw130 that works great, and will smoke ya out of the house.

i agree, we need to know what kind of 027 trains ya have .