railfanning the Sunset Route in AZ.

trainworm

since i had absolutely nothing to do today, i fugured i might as well play with some trains on my little module. so if you are bored like me, here is something to occupy your time too [:D][:D][:D]

the place, SP's Sunset route somewhere between Yuma and Gila Bend, Arizona. the time, summer 1994, late afternoon.

as we stand alongside the tracks we see an eastbound auto rack train sitting in the hole, led by 2 SP B39-8's and a SSW 8-40B. tearing down the mainline is a westbound stack train led by 5 of the SP's newest power, the GP60.
sp%20meet%201.JPG

here, we have a closer shot of the westbound Geeps
sp%20meet%202.JPG

this picture was taken from the highway overpass as the westbound stack train shot by underneath. the eastbound is waiting patiently in the siding for it's turn.
sp%20meet%203.JPG

after the stack train finally cleared, the auto rack train gets the green and heads out onto the main to continue it's journey.
sp%20meet%204.JPG

we'll run on down to the dry creekbed for these last two shots as the eastbound heads off.
sp%20meet%205.JPG

sp%20meet%206.JPG

and one last parting shot of the eastbounf auto rack train before we pack up our gear and head back to Gila Bend for some burgers at the Space Age Grill
sp%20meet%207.JPG

UPJunkie

wow great shots and layout. What did you use for ground gover on the 3rd one.

GREAT JOB!!!:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

trainworm

wow great shots and layout. What did you use for ground gover on the 3rd one.
\

i honestly cant remember what i used. it was a real fine grain ground cover, kinda like the woodland scenics stuff. i really liked the looks of it. i spread it around and wetted it down with a water and soap mix, then sprayed it again with the WS scenic cement and it turned out pretty well.

thanks for the compliments:D the photos were taken on my little 6 foot long by 2 foot wide module that i built just to try out scenery and to use for photography. i really need something on the ends tho, those flags look kinda out of place:D :D

UPJunkie

just been to your site wow i never thought of taking a Mhome and doing what your doing that will be one hell of a layout

ezdays

Out AZ way
Been a while since I was down that way, but I used to drive it often. It looked that way back in the 50's, and hasn't changed much since. Great modeling, you got it right.

How did you do the cacti?

trainworm

the cacti are all from Plastistruct. they make 3 different kinds ( i think) and a bunch of different sizes. they are pretty nice and they dont look too badl. the prickly pear and one of the others are plastic, the saguaro's are painted metal, and kinda expensive.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Thanks, the ocotillo shouldn't be too hard to make from twigs, but the others might be a bit tricky in N scale. Do you have a link to where you got them all?

trainworm

i just ordred them direct from www.walthers.com i could not find them anywhere around here, and most online stores didnt have them.

as for the ocotillos, i used green floral wire. i twisted a bunch together and wrinkled it up. i guess you could use some fine brass wire or just take a stranded copper wire and spread out the individual wires and paint them green for the same effect.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Thanks for the info.

I think you're right, for N scale, unravel something like a 16 ga stranded wire dipped in green paint should work. Gotta add a speck of red on each cane though..:)

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
A busy railroad. Great photos. I like the track and ballasting you did. Looks very real.
Now that flag at the end looks like pirates are in the area looking to do some highjacking.