Railfanning Safety

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Sounds like common sense to me..Sadly I seen hairball railfans throw common sense out the window all for a picture or video_Of course such action makes it rough on ALL railfans and railroads been known to close railfan locations due to the action of some hair brains.
Guys,When you are out railfaning be sure to think safety first,last and always.Please don't litter-remember to leave only foot prints and above all don't trespass.
Have a great and safe year track side!
And share those pictures!

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
The best is to go with a tour group, or if alone go to the managers office and ask to walk around, he/ she should give you a book to sign or something, railway staff are friendly and it will be on their heads too if something happens to you, it has happened here many times that railway staff are fired because they let an unauthorised person ride along.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
You certainly won't get free run by simply talking to the boss and signing a paper at any major railroad. The number of places this is possible is rapidly dwindling. Similarly, most "managers" don't have the time or desire to field requests from railfans and are best left alone. In fact, they don't even have the authority to grant such a request in most cases. If you want access -- and have a legitimate reason to request it -- one should inquire with a railroad's media relations office. Generally to access all but the smallest shortline you'll need to be accompanied by an employee if your request is granted.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Indeed..Most of the big boys don't want us hanging around their property even from a public location..
A short line can be friendly or hostile.To date the short lines I have visited been freindly..I have even received calenders,coffee cups and ink pins with their logo.:D
By signing a full release I was allowed a cab ride over a short line while the crew went about their work.:D

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
brakie said:
By signing a full release I was allowed a cab ride over a short line while the crew went about their work.:D

Just remember that you garner a little more respect than the average camera-toting railfan as you've worked in the industry. Railroaders won't react the same to everybody that inquires.

~BS

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
railohio said:
Just remember that you garner a little more respect than the average camera-toting railfan as you've worked in the industry. Railroaders won't react the same to everybody that inquires.

~BS

Very true..I also think that has help me with several short lines. You see I also stop in their office and introduce myself and tell them why I will be hanging around and that I will not be trespassing on their property..Oddly thats when I usually sign a waiver to be on their property.:D

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Sorry, forgot that things might be different in the US- at least life is still easy over here as far as railfanning goes. All you need to do is tell the railway police that you are a railfan and that you are taking pictures because you want to model the train. I normally tell them exactly what I know about the train and they are suprised and see that I'm not a trouble maker (SOMETIMES it helps to have a few bucks for a cigarette or a Coke that you can give them, wink-wink).

A friend of mine that goes to Germany, told me that over there, at the ticket office for around 50 Euros, you can buy a ticket to ride in the cab on certain sections.

They have an electric loco which they call a Taurus, it's so cool. It's a 40 Ton loco that goes from 0-250km/h in just over 25 seconds!!

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
MadHatter said:
Sorry, forgot that things might be different in the US- at least life is still easy over here as far as railfanning goes. All you need to do is tell the railway police that you are a railfan and that you are taking pictures because you want to model the train. I normally tell them exactly what I know about the train and they are suprised and see that I'm not a trouble maker (SOMETIMES it helps to have a few bucks for a cigarette or a Coke that you can give them, wink-wink).

A friend of mine that goes to Germany, told me that over there, at the ticket office for around 50 Euros, you can buy a ticket to ride in the cab on certain sections.

They have an electric loco which they call a Taurus, it's so cool. It's a 40 Ton loco that goes from 0-250km/h in just over 25 seconds!!

Actually if you use common sense and not trespass I found most railroads will let you go about your railfanning.
On the other hand if one starts acting stupid by trespassing,standing on the tracks in order to take pictures or videos,etc they will call the local police.