Rail Rust - solution stop cleaning it

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I have recently seen some reports from other forums that a few people have fast track with rust problems. Now I am a fast track addict and I know I rank among the top ten in the amount of feet of fast track used. The only problem is mine doesn’t even show the faint possibility of rusting.

My only thought is that these few people must clean their track with sand paper or a wire brush. Seriously though any track can handle the power with some dirt and unless it is effecting the operation of the trains then you don’t need to scrub then down after every uses.

My last cleaning on my current layout was never. The tracks were placed into operation on February 15th and they log about an hour of use each day since. Now some days are longer but I either my daughter or I have each mainline operating everyday. You can take your hand across the rails and they will pick up a pretty nice coating of black grim. However the operation of the trains are not bothered at all. There is no power, sparking, slow down or any other problems you can think of.

The humidity in the train rook is never below 70 even though we keep a dehumidifier running. The only tracks that ever rusted were my 0-27 but then again it was over forty years and was stored in the attic. So I don’t buy the reports that fast track rusts anymore than normal 0-27 would. It has to be due to heavy cleaning that is taking the topcoat off or possibly even scratching the rails.

[FONT=&quot]Now how many of you are cleaning people and clean your tracks at least once a week?[/FONT]
  2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

That is a good testament to Fast Track. I wonder if the daily use has anything to do with it. As to the cleaning technique, I think you are right about that. I found a box of track at a flea market that was rusted only on the top where it had been cleaned.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

You know I was an O27 addict for many years and I don't think I ever cleaned a piece of track until I started reading this forum.....
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I don't clean anything until there is a need to do so. So far the Fast Track has been flawless. 9 months and running with out a cleaning.
  5. ShakeMyShay

ShakeMyShay New Member

Stainless rail will make all the rust worries vanish.
  6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

It sure will but then again it would push an already expensive track through the price roof. :)