Rail power shell question.......

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by trainsteve2435, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Hello everyone, im thinking of purchaseing a couple of the Rail power C44 -9 shells and have a couple of questions, first, who manufactureres a chassis that will fit these shells? Second, how are the quality of detail of these shells? Thanks!
  2. Squidbait

Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

I wouldn't be surprised if the new Athearn units use the Railpower shell, since their new EMDs (SD40, SD38, etc) are all the RP shells.
  3. CCT70

CCT70 Member

Railpower makes a chassis for the shell, but you can also get finished C44-9's from Athearn, rather than painting and building your own if you wanted to go that route. If you do though, the Railpower shells fetch a few bucks usually on E-bay.
  4. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Railpower was bought by Athearn before Athearn was bought out by Horizon. The molds were cleaned up by Athearn, and are now used in new Athearn R-T-R locomotives. Railpower has not existed for a number of years now. If you find old Railpower Products shells left over in a hobby shop, they will fit Athearn chassis because they were made by Railpower to fit Athearn and replace the old Athearn wide shells or to offer a model that Athearn didn't make. The only frames they made were for units that Athearn didn't make a protoypical frame for.
  5. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Rail Power, Athearn AND A-line/PPW. Aline/Proto Power west you can get a motor with it too.
  6. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

yeah, i'm really looking into proto power west, mostly to power my GP40FH-2. They have C32-8 stuff there though, that looks cool. you could make a C39-8 to if you add in an extra pair of doors in the middle section. I'm almost thinking about trying that. i need my oddball Conrail locomotives...

is uppose you need to do special wiring to make them run on DCC though.
  7. jbaakko

jbaakko Active Member

Same as with Athearn, just isolate the motor, ect...

I have plenty of PPW, RPP & Athearn shells & chassi... The current "one" is a RPP Chassis in a Kaslo shell with an A-line motor & Athearn trucks.