Rail Enthusiasts Disease

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Just a bit of a follow up to the The portrayal of modelers in the media thread.

This is the text of a sign that my Dad saw in a pub in Exeter this summer. If I can get a digital image, I will post it:

BEWARE

Rail Enthusiasts Disease

*Highly Infectious to Males of All Ages*

The Symptoms: The sufferer becomes confused and bewildered when not near a railway. Will be observed wandering around with blank expression, muttering strange words. Rapid rise in temperature at sight of a train. Behaviour then becomes erratic: mush rushing about and waving of arms. Foaming at the mouth is not unusual. Is sometimes violent to non-believers. The Patient spends much time and money at book and magazine shops. Seems not to notice presence of "Normal" people.

THIS CONDITION IS NOT FATAL

The Treatment: Patient must be kept well supplied with items of railway interest. Should be encouraged to go on steam tours and to open-days where he can meet other victims of the illness and exchange ideas with them. Friends and relations can aid recovery with free transport, free beer and meals. In case of emergency, contact your nearest preservation society.

I've never foamed at the mouth, or become violent, but I sure could use some more treatment...! ;)

Andrew

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
Andrew I think we all here must have just a touch of this disease and I personally could use a large helping of the cure. Maybe we should start looking for a cure in that pub you mentioned if all else fails we'll have a couple of pints under our belts. Good on you Pat.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I hear what you folks say but, "Is that a horn blowing, where is my camera?" OK so get back to modelling my layout but need to get away from that and got MS Flight Simulator 2004 which has been absolutely perfect compared to previous ones so get back to my airforce days and enjoy flying around but
" is that a train I see down there. ?" Must get back to MS train simulator then. Ok Ok I need some mental help here. Any offers?