Raiders of the Lost Ark plane?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by causticphlegm, Oct 25, 2007.

1. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

First let me say that I know NOTHING about aircraft other than they are supposed to fly. :oops:

I would, however, like to try my hand at building a plane after I finish the Transformers' Devastator I'm working on. Over the years I've watched Raiders of the Lost Ark more than 30 times and have always thought the plane that blows up on the ground had a cool build. This is the only pic I could find of it:

Is it a real plane or a fictional build? Has anyone come across this bad boy? Any help appreciated.

Edit - Arrggghhh. About 30 seconds after posting it occured to me to search the forums. Duh! Yes it IS a fictional build and no, there is no paper model yet. Dang.
  2. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Still a neat looking bit of kit though.
  3. Paladin

Paladin Member

Funny you mention that. I was thinking the same thing about that plane. Except you actually found a picture of a model of one. I have checked various websites, including one that is all about the prototype, and research aircraft the Germans created around WWII, but I could not find any pictures, or diagrams of that plane. Just the other day, I was thinking about posting a question here to ask if anyone knew what that plane was. Was it a real design? Did the Germans ever actually build one? Did George Lucas just make it up for the movie? I guess he did huh?!
  4. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

The Germans at that point were starting to make very radical designs, but apparently this plane wasn't one of them...:rolleyes:

Here's an excellent site with all the info about it (you have to scroll down a bit):

IndyGear - Props - Planes

Ping-Pong Ball Cannon and N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: paperbeam - virtual paper models
  5. Paladin

Paladin Member

6. stevek73

stevek73 New Member

7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I'd like to know where he got the references. The ones on the indy site are for a 4 engined plane which is different in configuration.

ARMORMAN Guest

4 engine was the original design before they changed it for production. this is the next on my "to do" after I finish the Talon.
  9. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

which, the 2 or 4 engine version?

TBH I think both are equally interesting. The 4 engine version would be easier considering the fact that there is an actual reference to work with.

The 2 engine version has NOTHING online. I searched a long while back to build a digital model of it and never found a thing other than the 4 engine plan.
  10. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

I see five props in the original plan for the Indy plane on the website which makes it five engines, right?

Ping-Pong Ball Cannon and N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: paperbeam - virtual paper models
  11. shrike

shrike Guest

I seem to recall that the original design sketches for the movie did have 5 propellors. That got culled down to 2 in the interest of actually making the prop a useful item.
    The prop was inspired by all of the Horten projects, but was not drawn from any specific prototype. The big concern was getting it to be able to turn consistently and be solid enough to support the SFX for multiple takes.

BTW I once had a girlfriend that had dated the younger, smaller and hairier of the two 'mechanics'

ARMORMAN Guest

Props did not drive the plane. It was a small motor attached to the landing gear dirving the wheels by a bike chain.
  13. shrike

shrike Guest

I suggest a change of nomenclature to "airscrew" otherwise we could end up really confused by, "The props on the prop were merely props, not proper props at all.
  14. dansls1

dansls1 Member

The link above (indygear) shows the 'plane' with 2 propellers but also has a design picture indicating 5.
  15. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Sounds proper to me. :D
  16. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

The Proper Topic

Aren´t we letting ourselves being a bit propelled away from the proper topic here . . ?

17. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

I can only give this two scans from "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones - The Best of Lucasfilm Archives" volume. They depict the Ron Cobb design and You can read some interesing detail about the sequence.

They are the same You can find in the link above, but they have a better quality I think.

If someone can start from here to design the Indy's Flyng Wing ....:mrgreen:

Best Nando

Attached Files:

18. Alcides

Alcides Member

Maybe this was your intention but the files you attached are small. The ones in the indy site are better with high resolution.

19. Nando

Nando Designer Extraordinaire

Yes, that was my intention. Here attached the scans at a better resolution, I hope.

Best, Nando

20. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Thanks Nando!

The other plane looks quite interesting too...:cool: