Radius again.

plbab

Mar 21, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
I have 2 foot wide modules will i only be able to get 11 inch curves? I am working in N scale. If i use a yard stick and put a pencil at 11 inches will that give me a 11 inch radius? Paul

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
11" radius curve will make a circle 22" in diameter ...& that's about as wide as you can safely turn a train in a 24" space...in fact, even then those trains are really going to be hugging the edge of that table...remember - the curve radius is a measurement of the track;s centerline . (the point halfway between the rails)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Paul:
you need 2 points to get a radius. Unless you have a yardstick with extra wood befow the first inch, you will need to put a point (nail, push pin, ) in a bit from the end (I drill a hole at the 1" mark) and drill another hole for a pencil at the 12" mark (11"+1").
I also make two extra holes beside the nail hole to mark either rail position or end of ties.
I also make extra pencil holes for more radii.
If you're not going over 11", you might get away with using a foot ruler; yardsticks tend to bash against the walls.
I agree with Charlie about the radius being a bit close to the edge. If it's against a wall, you may find long cars or locomotives hitting the wall.

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
How very timely:) I was going to post a question about radus measurements..but that clears it up for me..the radius is measured via the outside rail :)

thanks (even if you didn't know you were helping ;))

Simon

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Simon:
Radius is measured to the centerline of the track. This lets you make reverse curves without making allowance for the gauge.
(Exception: Lionel measures diameter over the outside of the ties/sleepers.)
Laying out the extra lines that I suggested just makes tracklaying easier.

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
Thanks David,

so in fact my 12" radius curves if laid in a 180 degree arc would take up 24" + the width of the track (9mm or approx 3/8") .

Good to know this before I start squeezing my flexitrack onto the back of an old door :)

I was planning to start building the base of my new layout last weekend but I wanted to work outside to saves vacuuming up polystyrene bobbles ;) ) but it snowed :mad:

Cheers

Simon

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
so in fact my 12" radius curves if laid in a 180 degree arc would take up 24" + the width of the track (9mm or approx 3/8") .
Or + the length of the ties, or + the width of the roadbed you're using. (Depending on what you're willing to have hanging over the edge - hopefully nothing!)

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
ahy good point :D I'm using Woodland scenics road bed..or will when it arrives I have it on back order with the stockist..suddenly the vast expanse I seemed to have gain by going "N" seems to be shrinking ;) Why do I have to live in a shoe box ??? A most railroad unfriendly house :(

Sir_Tainly

Jan 15, 2003
Cambridge, England
Visit site
Hi John,

actually mine is on the small side as it's only 2 bedroom..a side effect of having to live in the most expensive place for houses in the UK, outside London :( Still at least it means I can work and have money for trains ;) (even if I lack space to use them ;) )

Simon