Radio Interference from motor sparking

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
I was surprised that USA model locomotive motors are not fitted with spark suppression capacitors (or inductors) to dramatically reduce radio/television interference. European models are fitted with both or at least were when I had them many years ago.
I haven't run trains more than a few minutes at a time during the last 2 years but this last week I have been getting all my lokeys to run nicely and my wife asked if I had been running trains as the tv had "snow" on it while I was running them. I've noticed that lokeys with cast wheels (some Athearn and MDC "Climax") tend to spark on the track sometimes so I was thinking of fitting capacitors at 3ft intervals across the tracks.
I fitted a .01uF ceramic capacitor across the offending motors and that reduced the the noise substantially.
Have other's had to do this?
Can motors are unlikely to have this problem (at least not the ones I have).

Just curious,

Errol

F

Fred_M

Errol, it don't bother my cable TV and nobody in the states listens to the radio unless they are driving. :D I have heard of some problems with white LEDs burning out from this "noise" and the cure is the same as you used. I put a smiley up there but it really is true. Cable TV doesn't recieve the signal and nobody listens to radio unless they are driving. FRED

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
I beg to differ!!
I have an older Tv in the basement next to the layout workbench and even from three feet away my tv gets staticky every time I run my Sante Fe diesel and my Amtrak i noticed it after a few times then tested to ee if that was the problem and sure enought that is what it was. And contrary to popular beleif some Americans do listen to their radios in the basement, people!!
So I haven't really got around to doing anything about it since I get good enough reception and such but I am glad somebody else has experienced this PHENOMENON!!
It just goes to show that..
One group of people dont speak for the masses and the masses dont speak for one certain group.

Until then continue modeling and wear you tinfoil helmets to shield us from the government spying in on us from TV satelites. Government conspiricies. HA... LOL

Eric

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Errol, In the USA the rules are not as stringent with respect to generated RF noise from small electrical appliances or household devices. So I guess the mfgs. save 10 cents per loco!! :eek: My microwave will knock out the TV. Sometimes not having the train power pack on the same circuit as the TV will help too. But, with you being the Robber Barron's Resident EE I don't have to explain that :D :D :D :D

The damnest thing I ever had was one of those "touch lamps". :mad: It would knock out everything, TV, radio, the train layout sound system and my amateur radio station. It now lives in the city dump :thumb: :D :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
sumpter250 said:
Oh!, it's not just tv, there's the "library hour", and the shower too! :D :D

It is assumed that you as a good model railroader keep the latest issues of all of the model railroad magazines in your "library" so that time spent there will not be "wasted" :D :D :D :D :D

F

Fred_M

Vic, 10 cents for a .01 mfd ceramic cap? Man they seen you coming. :D You should of kept that lamp, it sounds like a electromagnetic pulse weapon that you could of sold to the highest bidder. FRED

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
dash10 said:
Vic, 10 cents for a .01 mfd ceramic cap? Man they seen you coming. :D You should of kept that lamp, it sounds like a electromagnetic pulse weapon that you could of sold to the highest bidder. FRED

Don't 'fergit Fred, You got to add labor for soldering it on :D :D :D

I tried everything I knew with that :curse: lamp!!! Even ferrite beads on the cord. I tried to swap it to Saadam for some oil futures :eek: by telling him it was a WMD but he went with gas instead :eek: :D :D

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Vic, Mikey want's to know which dump the lamp is in .. he thinks it would have a use on his RR missile site especially if it screws up radar sites as well as radio/tv and such.

chuckling here.

Errol

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
kettlestack said:
Vic, Mikey want's to know which dump the lamp is in .. he thinks it would have a use on his RR missile site especially if it screws up radar sites as well as radio/tv and such.

chuckling here.

Errol

Sorry Errol, I won't tell. Leave the :curse: thing where it is. 50,000 years from now visitors from another galaxy will dig it up and say " Ah Ha!...This is technology that they destroyed their civilization with". :eek: :D :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Vic said:
Sorry Errol, I won't tell. Leave the :curse: thing where it is. 50,000 years from now visitors from another galaxy will dig it up and say " Ah Ha!...This is technology that they destroyed their civilization with". :eek: :D :D

Or they'll push the button, destroy their space ship, and be forced to settle the planet.

And the vicouse cycle begins again!

Hopefully they'll find some trains to play with too :D :D :D

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Vic said:

ROFL - Best idea I've heard all week!! - leave it there - I like using my tin foil helmets :) I don't need no satelite jammin' stuff... :) :) I have the antique roof antenna to do that just fine!!! LOL - only 2 of us on the entire street still have 'em stickin' out the roof!! :) :)

btw - I have my radio near the layout hooked up to it. That way those locos dont interfere with it. :) :) But they used to! :)