Radio Controlled Planes/helicopters etc

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
I've been looking at some RC planes websites (just looking, honest:D ), and while they talk of scale and non-scale models, large, small, mini and micro sized models, they never say what scales they're talking about.

Does anyone know whether planes/helicopters etc come in any of our scales (O, HO, N) etc?
Wouldn't it be cool to have aircraft landing and taking off as the trains go by....

I guess there may be folk out there that have tried this - any links?
:wave:

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
By scale all they mean is a model of a real plane, as opposed to a "freelance" design, to use a mrr reference. At least that is what it meant why I built and flew R/C stuff some 30 years ago.

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
You could not build or fly a model plane built to 1/87 scale...Probably the smallest you could have would be something in the range of G Scale.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Like this?
butterfly.gif

http://www.plantraco.com/hobbies/product_butterfly.html

OR?
http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/micro-rc-airplanes.html
:)

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
Several years ago there was a european company producing an R/C HO scale tractor/trailer, but it was quite expensive and I haven't seen one offered for sale.

I fly R/C and unless the plane is model of an actual aircraft, there will be no scale listed. They run the full gammut of sizes. These days I have several eletric planes with wingspans around 36". The largest I've ever seen was a 1/3 scale Fokker Triplane. That's just dangerous in my opinion.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I saw some great WWI biplane (scale) models flying at an exhibition several years ago. They had all kinds of things, including scale planes of all sizes, "freelance" planes and other things like flying lawnmowers, and model rockets too.

But to get back to the WWI fighters - They were big (probably 6 foot wingspan), and were engaged in a mock dogfight. There was a commentator on the loudspeaker "calling the fight" as it were - basically explaining the moves they were doing. It was interesting, but he was kinda droning on in a bit of a monotone.

One of the planes started a dive towards the ground. He kept commentating about combat techniques taught to the pilots. I was watching the diving plane, and it started to become apparent that he was not going to be able to pull out. The commentator droned on... The plane came down... and down... and **SMASH** - it flew right into the ground. The only piece left that was bigger than a lunchbox was the engine. He would have needed about 12 more feet to be able to pull it out.

Anyway, the commentator did not miss a beat. His voice never changed from the droning monotone as he said "Well that looks like it cost George about $12,000."

:eek: ;) :D

Andrew

RC BOAT

Feb 27, 2006
Bloomington, MN
Hey Brakie;
Note my handle, I built R/C Boats since I was about 9 nine years old, I'm now 65! 2 years ago I sold off 43 R/C boats, was left with 63 feet of empty work bench. I ran across a good deal on a lot of used N-Scale Flex track and started my RR Empire.
The smallest R/C Boat I ever built was a an HO scale tug boat, and the largest was a 1/96th scale USS Missouri. The Mighty MO came out to just under 10 feet and weighed about 200 pounds with ballast. It has 4 motors controlled in pairs of 2 - port and starboard, thus it could be steered by rudder or motors, or both. Also had reverse, various sound effects, lights, and anchors that raised an lowered. The best size for Scale R/C boats in my opinion was "G scale". Something about that size seemed to make the boats run very realistic.

George

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
next too trains,WW2 and planes are my favorite.i love watching the high output air racers.they fly modified P-51's and P-38's.as for model planes i;ve seen some 1/72nd scale planes but very little in the way of 82nd scale.and unless your an electrical genius youll never get them to "fly" but you can put them on small wires and have them spun by an electric motor or on a guide wire in the ceiling.although if you can find it the U.S military has an electric surveillance plane with a 4in wing span!but unless you have a few extra grand thats outta the story.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
Hey Brakie;
Note my handle, I built R/C Boats since I was about 9 nine years old, I'm now 65! 2 years ago I sold off 43 R/C boats, was left with 63 feet of empty work bench. I ran across a good deal on a lot of used N-Scale Flex track and started my RR Empire.
The smallest R/C Boat I ever built was a an HO scale tug boat, and the largest was a 1/96th scale USS Missouri. The Mighty MO came out to just under 10 feet and weighed about 200 pounds with ballast. It has 4 motors controlled in pairs of 2 - port and starboard, thus it could be steered by rudder or motors, or both. Also had reverse, various sound effects, lights, and anchors that raised an lowered. The best size for Scale R/C boats in my opinion was "G scale". Something about that size seemed to make the boats run very realistic.
that is SOOOOO COOL!!!!the biggest one i ever had and still do is 3ft long model of torpedo boat from WW2.it has two motors and a top speed of 4 knots :D!!it is still a lot of fun even though it's 15 years old.--josh

Alan Bickley

Dec 22, 2003
Bicester, Oxford, UK
Visit site
I was browsing through a model shop recently that sells R/C models only. While I was there I saw a couple of kits for a model airliner that resembled a Boeing 777. I did wonder about the scale when I read on the box that the wingspan was 55 inches.

caellis

Jul 28, 2005
Mesa, AZ
I have been in R/C since 1952. We don't refer to R/C planes as having a scale, but rather a ratio express as a fraction.

And the only time a fractional scale is applied is when the model is a designed and built based on a real full sized plane.

An example would be a model Piper Cub. The scale is described as 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, etc scale.
This simply means the model is 1/3, 1/4 or 1/5 the size of the real plane.
And while some models do cost $12,000 or more this is a rare exception.

An average R/C model with a wing span of about 4 feet would be closer to $300.

Also went and if a crash totals a model, usually only the aircraft is a total loss. The airborne radio equipment, engine, wheels etc can be salvaged for another plane.

Getting into R/C today with a very basic airplane ready to fly is about the cost of a modest DCC system.

I currently have several radio systems that are nearly 30 years old. They are still legal to use because I am a HAM radio operator and use the 6 meter band.

I find R/C much less costly then MRR.

I submit this to hopefully clear-up some misinformation concerning one of my hobbies.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Actually, you can get into a decent parkflyer for less than $150... it's proprietary radio gear (usually), but it's fun, it's cheap, and if you don't get hooked, you're not out a lot of cash.

On the other hand, if the hook is set (as it was with me), it's the start of a slippery slope... and you'll wind up with a collection of planes and radio gear - and that first plane to introduce friends and family to the fun of RC flying!

caellis

Jul 28, 2005
Mesa, AZ
bigsteel said:
i wish i had the money to do both!:D
I am not directing this comment to anyone in particular but feel it is worth saying to the general forum membership/viewer.

While everyone wishes he/she could do a lot of things that requires money, the best way to make it happen is through hard work.

I worked for 58 years including 2 years of military. I put my self through college without using my GI benefits. Obtained a Computer Science Degree in 1964. Worked as an employee for several years then became self employed and obtained computer system design contracts throughout the U.S.

I moved 16 times and retired a couple years ago at age 70.

I enjoyed my work and made a very good living. I have my own retirement income above and beyond Social Security. I took care of my family with my own earnings, never drew unemployment insurance.

The only thing I wish is that I could do it all again...

There, I feel much better!

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
I am not directing this comment to anyone in particular but feel it is worth saying to the general forum membership/viewer.

While everyone wishes he/she could do a lot of things that requires money, the best way to make it happen is through hard work.

I worked for 58 years including 2 years of military. I put my self through college without using my GI benefits. Obtained a Computer Science Degree in 1964. Worked as an employee for several years then became self employed and obtained computer system design contracts throughout the U.S.

I moved 16 times and retired a couple years ago at age 70.

I enjoyed my work and made a very good living. I have my own retirement income above and beyond Social Security. I took care of my family with my own earnings, never drew unemployment insurance.

The only thing I wish is that I could do it all again...

There, I feel much better!
**RANT MODE OFF*** LOL :Dits always good to let it all out and i wish i could do all that work,and i see you were in the military.what were you,navy,marines,army,airforce.i wanted to join but never had enough guts :D !.if i did join, id have a micro layout in my footlocker!--josh