Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by bill516, Mar 20, 2008.

1. bill516

bill516 Member

Latest effort by my hand R2D2 and Friend

Attached Files:

2. rlc321

rlc321 Gundam designer wannabe

Lookin Really Good Nice Clean Build You Have There
  3. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Outstanding! Where did you get the R2 Unit? I know the C3PO is from Uhu, but where'd you get the R2? Great job, very clean work! Best Picture!:thumb:
  4. bill516

bill516 Member

More nice compliments thank you guys, maybe I'm begining to get the hang of these paper models.

CJTK1701 I got my R2 from here

I never realised before but there is series of R2 units maybe I will have to make more.

5. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Thanks Bill, again, magnificent job!
  6. Gearz

Gearz Member

Getting the hang of it..!!?? I'll say! Beautiful work Bill, excellent job on R2's dome!

7. bugman72

bugman72 Member

R2 looks good, Bill! I'm working on mine right now as a break from building my Halo Master Chief wearable armor.

Am I to assume that yours is built to the original scale of the download? I'm attempting to build mine at a SLIGHTLY larger scale :). The total diameter is right around 11" or 12". I increased the size of the original file by 450%. I just started this week and so far have the left leg finished.

My next attempt will be UHU's C3PO. How is the fitment of the parts on that model?
  8. bill516

bill516 Member

I just printed R2 out as he came but I was unsure of how he would match up to C3P0, dont know if the're in scale but they dont look bad.

With R2 I cut off the tabs on the head and used backing joiners instead to give a smoother look to the dome, I think it looks better than the steps you get with the tabs method. You might get away with tho if you are building it bigger, you will be posting pics wont you :mrgreen:

Fittment of parts on C3P0 wasn't bad the only bits I had any problem with were the eyes, and the joining of the back of the head to the front. There's a ridge that runs around the middle on the back of the head and it doesn't show up very well on the instruction pics. I ended up going to UHU02's site and downloading his build pics, they are a bit better quality and show up the detail a bit better. I also resorted to a web search for pics of C3P0 but I did not glean that much extra info from them. The fingers are a bit of a pain but in the end I just stuck them on so they looked about right. When I first did his right hand it looked more like Freddy Kruger's claw than a Robots hand.

9. bugman72

bugman72 Member

They actually seem to be fairly close to the same scale. R2 MIGHT be a tad bit shorter than he should be, but all in all for two models coming from two different sources, they're pretty close.

Here's a good reference pic:

I intend to take some pics and post them soon. I should probably take some pics before I get too involved, as this tends to be my problem. I get started and don't think about taking in-progress shots until it's completed.
  10. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Wow, you really have done an awesome job on that... especially the dome... it's perfect!
  11. bill516

bill516 Member

Have to agree bugman from two different sources they are pretty close, I think if R2 was in his upright pose the difference would be tiny.

Jaffro 'its perfect' ? sign1 its about the best I can do but I'm happy with it, it could have been much worse. Thanks for the compliment it is much appreciated.