R.I.P. Arthur C Clarke

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cjd, Mar 19, 2008.

1. cjd

cjd Member

Many of you may have heard, but for those who hav'nt, I'm the bearer of sad tidings. Arthur C Clarke died today at the age of 90.
    Author Arthur C. Clarke dies - CNN.com
    Today is a sad day

2. sprintx

sprintx Member

all sci-fi fans must mourning now... So all last time hail to arthur C.clarke...
    We miss u master

3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

R.I.P. indeed. :(
    Some of the best sci-fi stories ever written. 2001: A Space Odyssey, Rendezvous With Rama, Childhood's End, etc., etc., etc....

Commsats in geosynchronous orbit, space elevators, all kinds of neat stuff came out of his head. :)
  4. Gixergs

Gixergs Well-Known Member

Sad indeed it was Clarke and Asimov that I first started reading, about 130yrs ago it seems now, when their short stories were published in Speed and Power the magazine that I used to read as a kid.
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I was amazed to hear of his passing. They were playing an earlier interview of him on the BBC today and it was interesting to hear his predictions of a cell phone long before it was possible.
  6. aphelion16

aphelion16 Member

I read the term tyrabyte for the first time in one of Clarke's later books. I could'nt imagine that much data storage. Now I have more than that sitting on my desk in less space than one of his novels.
    Thank you for turning many young eyes toward space. Mine certainly included. Even if they're not so young now, I'm still dazzled.
  7. aaronlam

aaronlam Member

:( Pretty sad date today
  8. Mace

Mace Member

Indeed we'll miss his insights.
    May he rest in peace...