R/C Simulators, Are they any good?

Discussion in 'RC Aircraft & Watercraft' started by Starguard, Mar 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starguard

Starguard Member

A few days ago I was in the local hobby shop gathering a few items here and there, when I happened to glance at a Home Flight simulator system that plugs directly into any basic television. This simulator was really expensive ($114.00) but looked like it had everything one would need for practicing how to fly. For those of you who've had vast experience with these type of things, please advise...Have you actually found them helpful with flight training?
  2. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

Well we have the real flight g2 sim from great planes in our store. It has now sucessfully taught 3 people to fly. Not rolls and 4 or 8 points mind you... but take off and land
    none-the-less... Real flight is a very good program that allows you to set the veiw angles and wind speed along with the wind gusts and it is pretty close to real physics (as far as I can tell). Plus you can play it online and get into events like pylon racing or limbo events. Overall I give it two thumbs up.
  3. Fastsky

Fastsky Member

Hi Starguard, Yes I found flight sims helpful while training. I used to let the plane get too far away from me and had to have the instructor get it back. After a few days of getting the message "your plane has flown away!" on the puter I learned how to keep the plane in closer. The flight sims do have limitations. You can't simulate ground control on grass fields and you can't get the large field/open sky look on a small puter screen. Before you spend big bucks why not download a free flight sim that works well called FMS. The Real Flight sim is the Cadillac of flight sims and priced to match!! Follow the link below to download the freeby. http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html
  4. That simulator is great!
  5. Fastsky

Fastsky Member

Star, there are also a lot of free planes of real models that you can download for the FMS. The Hobbico Brightstar is right on and flys exactly like the real thing.[8D]
  6. alisar70

alisar70 Member

i heard that them rc simulaters are good is that true?
  7. Fastsky

Fastsky Member

alisar70, check out my post above and follow the link. Download the sim and give it a try. Then you will know and it didn't cost you a thing!
  8. alisar70

alisar70 Member

yeah but i need a remote right
  9. rickrcboater

rickrcboater Member

some people
  10. Fastsky

Fastsky Member

You can actually use your keyboaard for starters by selecting that in the setup for the FMS. After that, ya you will need to get either make or buy an adapter that will connect an RC radio to the puter. If you get the G2 you will need to buy a Tx. box to match.
  11. rockn82

rockn82 Marx Brother

G2 comes with the Transmitter. It also has the capability to use your own Tx. via a trainer cable. I would wait on buying it though. G3 is almost out now and it is waaaay better. Parts break off if you hit something and you have a 1000 sq miles to around. The helicopter flight mode is not working yet and so they are gonna release it without helicopters but as soon as they fix them the patch will be available do download and add chopper support. It Even has some 3D flying in it. and the enviroments are awesome.
  12. Starguard

Starguard Member

So far I've managed to get ahold of all of the Add-Ons except #2. That one I'm getting next. All the planes are becoming easier to fly too (except the B-17 Bomber). I can fly it pretty easy, its just the landing that still giving me problems. With this thing you can't flare the nose up. When landing If you don't force the nose down, that thing will glide on forever :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.