Quiz: What aircraft; what make of model - and at what scale?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Leif Oh, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Some of you may remember the test build of a big prop I was doing a while ago. Below is what I'm building to hang it on to. Now for the quiz:

1) What aircraft is being built here? (Should be easy enough.)

2) What is the make of the card model? (Clue: Recently featured on this site.)

3) What scale do you think it is being built at? (This is the clincher...)

2. rickstef

rickstef Guest

the Halinski P-39 in 1:25 scale

sheesh Leif, make it harder

3. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

I actually did that, Rick, which is why I thought this might be a little bit interesting. I agree that knowing me it would have been that easy - but it isn't.

Any more bidders?
  4. cecil_severs

cecil_severs Member

Ok, I'll byte. The big one looks about twice the size of the 1/25 scale one. So so about 1/12 scale (one inch per foot). Any larger and you'll be installing the radio equipment for RC scale planes!

How bout a side by side pic?

5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I reckon he's gone the other way; I reckon it is about 1:48 scale..... Remember, Leif is as mad as cheese! But then, most of us are in this place!

Tim P
  6. barry

barry Active Member

Well the rubber (sorry chaps eraser your side of the pond) under the front, still has a flat end so I guess it's probably 2 inches long after that bring on the maths guys.

7. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Thanks guys, for humouring me and playing along - appreciate it!

A clue for the scale clincher is that I'm planning to build a pilot figure representing Russian WWII air hero Boris Safonov, from one of the few available kits of appropriate figures in this scale, which is otherwise quite common. (There's a clue that ought to get you there quick enough - with a little interesting research...)

8. cygielski

cygielski Member

1/16? That's monstrous! What kind of cardstock are you using for the skin? Do you reinforce it somehow so it won't sag?
  9. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Monstrous or not, that's what I'm doing. Thought you'd never ask...

Collectively, you guys now get to share the honour of having kicked off yet another tall building story. Go watch the thread "Building a 1/16 scale P39N Airacobra".