Quittin' Time

alkcnw

Apr 10, 2002
camp douglas Wis.
Visit site
Hey Casey, Nice pic., is that a Campbels model? I belive its called Campbells Supply Co., have one sitting on my layout except its red. Built it back in 1972. Keep the great pictures coming!!:eek:

Hey Casey, Nice pic., is that a Campbels model? I belive its called Campbells Supply Co., have one sitting on my layout except its red. Built it back in 1972. Keep the great pictures coming!!:eek: [/QUOTE]

Yep, it's the Campbell's kit you've identified. I built it sometime during the late '70's and finally placed and photographed it on the layout around '82 or so. Obviously, I added a few detail parts. The photo is a scan of an 8 X 10 print in a mat that I did many years ago.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Casey, nice photograph friend, which NMRA convention was it.

I like the Campbell's kits, but rather expensive are they not.

Shamus

Originally posted by shamus
Hi Casey, nice photograph friend, which NMRA convention was it.

I like the Campbell's kits, but rather expensive are they not.

Shamus

Thanks, Shamus. It was the '84 Convention in Kansas City, Mo. I won two seconds (one color and one B&W) and a third (B&W) in model photos that year.

Yes, the Campbell kits have gotten pretty expensive in recent years. I don't remember exactly what I paid for the Supply kit, but I think it was in the vicinity of $29 or so at the time.

A related story: while at the '98 National Convention (in K.C. again), I overheard a fellow saying that "poor old Leo Campbell was in real poor health" and that "the rest of the family don't want nothing to do with keeping the business after Leo goes." I've always been a big fan of the Campbell kits, so I went home and told my wife that I'd better start buying the kits I had wanted for years but never bought, because it didn't sound like they'd be available much longer. She agreed, and I ordered 5 of my favorites. For Christmas that year, she gave me three more.

Of course, as most of you know, Leo Campbell is still very much alive and the company is still producing the complete line of kits. About the only difference is that they just keep going up in price every year.

I have 2 of the 8 I got that year assembled; the rest are awaiting completion of other projects.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Another great scene Casey. I really like the way you took the photo that doesn't show the whole building but concentrates on the character. It really sets the mood.