Quinn Ball Bearing

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
belg said:
I don't know ,what are ties plates used for?? On the rails to join them together??? Thanks Pat
Ha Pat, Tie plates go between the rail and ties, they hold the spikes and distribute the load so the rail won't "dig" into the tie.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Wow Gary - that bank of windows looks so impressive! This structure is a work of art!!

I went back through the thread to find out where you got the bricks above the windows and found you made them yourself. :thumb: I'm thinking of doing the same thing down the road a bit, and was wondering if you have any photos of your process?

Can't wait to see this building completed. Awesome work!!!

Val

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks folks.

Belg, Scott already answered, tie plates help the spikes hold rail to the ties. If I get lucky I'll be able to take some nice close up photos of the loading dock area when I'm done. The photo etched plates came with very tiny scale spikes. I hope my end result will look like real track but we'll see.

Val, The only photos I took were the ones I posted of the castings. I went downstairs and found the mold, I have already disassembled the master. Here is a photo of the mold, with the master for the arches. I made the master for the row of bricks by cutting a lot of pieces from strip styrene with a chopper, then glued them to another strip of styrene, which was glued to a flat piece of styrene sheet, just like the arch master. I spaced them with strip wood which wouldn't get glued in the process. It was about 7" long. Then I was able to just pour as many copies as I needed. Just make a dam, I used 1/4" square styrene strip, to hold the liquid latex mold material. Obvious in the photo.

Attachments

• P1010629jpg..jpg
    P1010629jpg..jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 96

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Check their website at www.smooth-on.com Since I was downstairs to take these shots, I looked around for something else to shoot without setting up lights. Here is my NYC L2a, patiently waiting for Soundtraxx to release their Tsunami decoder. This is my favorite NYC steam loco. Completely off topic, but who cares?

Attachments

• P1010632jpg..jpg
    P1010632jpg..jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 145

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Yes Belg, it's brass. It took me a couple years to finally win one on ebay. I believe there were only 50 pcs. made, and they don't appear often. The first two I bid on wound up going for well over what I wanted to spend, I finally got lucky.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Pete, Surely you jest! After I install the sound and I'm happy with the way it runs, Blake will paint it. I want cam activated chuff and want to see if I'll need to add pickups before it gets painted. It runs nicely now, but I want to see if the sound drops out at turnouts, etc. before proceeding. Where are those Tsunami's?

Gary

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks Tyson. I went to paint the truck dock last night, my Depot Buff had dried up, so I looked thru my paints and decided to lighten up some Signal Yellow with white. I wasn't thrilled but also wasn't sure so asked my wife what she thought. Too pretty she said. So I'm heading to the LHS at lunchtime. Anyone want to suggest a color? I'm not set on anything right now. figure I'll just take a look see at the store. I'm open for suggestions.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Tyson, No I was talking about the board and batten part. Just got back from the store, decided on a light green, Weyherhouser or some such. Ought to look good with the dark green doors. Wish I could go home now and paint it!

revandy

Nov 2, 2004
Cumberland RI
Thanks for the education, I have learned more in the last 45 minutes of examining this thread. The tip of the hat to you, sir!
Rev. Andy

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Beside the dark red brick color a green-green wooden shed could be very attractive. I would tone the green down a bit with a light inkaholic wash, so that it doesn't turn out too gaudy or even... *cute*! :eek: :D

However, since the whole ball bearing plant looks very well-kept, I would keep the weathering very, very light.

Surely Mr. Quinn wouldn't approve to be the owner of a run-down, shabby factory. After all, he wants to be proud of his prosperous plant, doesn't he? :)

Congratulations for your fantastic model, Gary. It keeps getting better and better! :thumb: :cool:

Ron

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Gary,
Yes, I was jesting. If I had access to a painter as good as Blake is, I'd probably sell my air brush. Then again, I also know you are very capable of producing an excellent paint job, remember, I've seen your work. :thumb:
Where are those tsunamis? you ask?.......I think, since that small ripple in the Indian Ocean, Soundtrax might be looking for a new product name! :D :D
Pete