Quick N scale chair, table and bench ?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Cut suitably shaped parts from styrene sheets and assemble into bench, etc...! ;) :D

Sorry - couldn't resist! I have a number of older kits that contain similar "instructions" - although they are really more "guidelines" aren't they?

I think styrene is a good choice, as it is easy to cut, glue and file as needed. You can also bend it, so a bench/booth seat for a cafe could be a simple box, with one side extending above the "seat". Then bend the back slightly for a more comfortable sitting position.

If you want to do chairs, you might consider bending a frame from one or two lengths of wire, and then adding a styrene seat and back with CA. I have done this (in HO), but unfortunately have no pictures.

Tables could be as simple as a bit of styrene rod with a square or circle (cut with a hole punch) cemented to the top.

A different approach you might want to consider is filing or carving each piece from a solid block - this might work best for a bench, or a chair that is "slip-covered".

Good luck! And you should probably get a magnifier! ;) :D

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
One other thought that occurs to me is to "turn" some shapes. Obviously round furniture like stools and tables would work best. Member "Trainclown" has had some great success chucking styrene rod into a drill and making jugs and other cylindrical items.

Andrew

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
If you can locate some N scale brass ladder stock, some bending and a touch of solder can yield a decent chair frame. Simply add a styrene seat (and back if you wish). Unless you're entering the model in a contest, interior details can be done fairly crudely and still appear convincing. A 3-dimensional sheet styrene "X", the height of a table, can provide a pedestal-style base for a sheet styrene table top, or even simpler, use a block, cut to the proper height, from a strip of .060"x.060" or .080"x.080" styrene, then add a top of .015" sheet. Even a length of 1/8" diameter styrene rod will work for the pedestal. Counter stools would be the same, with a "cushion" punched from .020" sheet.

Wayne

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Oops, I almost forgot to reply that thread. My apology

Thanks for all the suggestions Andrew and Wayne.
I think I'll go the styrene way using standard extruded shapes such as tubing, square tube or "X" shape

To Andrew: The day I decided to model in N scale, my 1st purchase was not, a Power pack, nor a diesel engine, but was a magnifier.

Jacques

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
Don't forget the strip wood and structural shapes selection at your LHS. I've build furniture before in HO scale...and I did it with styrene sheet of strip wood.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Here is my 1st trial.
I used sheet styrene of .030" and .010" thickness.
The problem was to know how much layers of .030" were required to bring the table and bench to the proper height
The result is, I would say , crude, but it's N scale anyway
Here are 2 pics
Cafe1.jpg

Cafe3.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Nice work, Jacques. :thumb::thumb: If you have a small paper punch, you could punch out "plates" from .005" styrene, and use some clear plastic rod to make "glasses".
However, for cutlery, you're on your own. :rolleyes::p ;):-D

Wayne