Quick Links to Great Stuff

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by sjsquirrel, Feb 27, 2007.

1. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

So what's this then?

This thread arose from a discussion recently about how hard it was sometimes to find good tutorials. Quite often really good stuff gets buried down in post many-something of some thread. What I am going to do here is collect links from the various other threads in this forum, and links to other stuff that's nominated. The intent is for this to be a starting point where you can quickly and easily find great tutorials and references that are of use to modelers and designers. If you have something you'd like to see included, reply to this thread or send me a PM.

What's different about this thread?

In this thread, I will collect the material, and regularly update the second post of this thread. That way, the collected wisdom will always be in the same place. You can bookmark it, and get to the current stuff easily. Over time this will become a collaborative links page, but in a post instead of on some web site somewhere.

The thread is also "sticky" so it is always one of the first things a visitor will see. Hopefully this will make it easier for people to find what they are looking for quickly, and reduce the number of repeat requests for information.

Here are the guidelines I'll be using.

• Only stuff that gets nominated several times, or that's generally accepted as being of particular value will be added.
    • In keeping with the spirit of this forum (Tutorials) the material should be "how to" type stuff.
    • More to come as the process matures and develops.

How do I contribute?

Simply reply to this thread with your suggestions for material you've found that should be added to the list. This could be a tutorial you've found on the Internet, a great piece of educational material you read in a specific post or series of posts.
    Please include a working link to the material.
    If necessary, I (or another volunteer) will even consolidate material from other threads and put it in a post here, then link to that post.

I hope you find this valuable.

2. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Here's the stuff

The following are links to tutorial and "how-to" resources that have
    been nominated as "great stuff" by members of Cardmodels.net.
    See post #1 for more info.

Notes and Lingo

Model Building
    Model Design

Specific Programs
    • Pepakura
    • Metasequoia
      • These tutorials by Bryde are good introductions to using Meta. If you're just getting started give these a run through.
      • A large number of links can be found in this thread. I have not reviewed them so can't comment on the quality. This doesn't fit the "nominated as great stuff" criteria, but I wanted to have at least one link here :wink:
    • Blender
    • Rhino
  3. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I vote for Golden Bears three tutorials.
  4. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Wunwinglow's Rhino tutorial definitely goes in the list
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Good idea. Keep in mind several of them are already available as downloads in the reserves. You can link to them there or the original threads (or both)
  6. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

Please include links

As mentioned in my initial post, when recommending material please include working links to it.

7. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I'm sure you may have read this elsewhere, but I just wanted to remind you all that I have added quick links to my signature to lots of cool cardmodel related stuff...just look for the Welcome Wagon (thewoodengraver)

and, Yes, I do find this service useful, thanx for doing it!