Quick DCC question

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
I've got the chance at my LHS to purchase an Atlas B23-7 with the decoder installed at a good price. Problem is, my layout is DC. I plan on my next layout to operate DCC, switching my DC diesels over to DCC as budget permits.

My question is, can I operate that DCC diesel on my DC track without doing damage to the decoder? I was told there would be an AC to DC problem with capacitors on the decoder board which might make the DCC diesel work erratically at times on my DC layout...is this true?

I thought that by getting a DCC now, I'd at least have one to run on the new DCC layout when I start it (which might be pretty soon). But until then, I was hoping to run it a while on my DC track. Also, can you run a DCC diesel on a DC track with other DC-only diesels without doing damage? I'm sure this type of question has been asked before - but I was unable to find the thread.

Thanks guys.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
A further "it depends"...

One - the decoder has to be capable of this (as Ron notes) and that depends on the manufacturer. You need to check what make of decoder is in the engine.

Two - If one (above) is ok, the decoder still has to be set to allow operation on DC. Some decoders can turn off this capability.

I would ask the LHS to either check this for you, and/or demonstrate the loco on a DC test track. This is not the ideal situation, but I understand the need for a "phased" approach.

Andrew

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Atlas sells locos with decoders installed. If this is the case with the one you mention, then yes you can run it on dc. The instructions will tell you how to change the position of a jumper plug.