Questions on roadbed and rail yards

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
I was wondering if many people use road bed through out the rail yard too. I have read were some people just sit the rails on the table for yards and sidings, and road bed under the mainland. If thats the best way to go, whats the best way to transistion from the road bed to table top without having a steep drop. I know its not but a fraction of an inch drop, but to sharp and the diesels fuel tank bottom out. Thanks
Nick

L

lester perry

I use road bed under main lines and feeder tracks into the yard. I use nothing under yard. I also use nothing under most sidings. One reason for this is to make sure no cars accidentally roll onto main causing disasters. This does cause a slight grade but in the yard it sort of adds to realism as yards are not the best track in most cases. If you go to photo contest and look at my entry you will see lower siding here is a pic where you can see track going down to yard. As you can see it is hardly noticeable
102960147.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I use cork roadbed under my mainlines and passing sidings, but lay spurs and yard tracks directly on the wood sub-roadbed. To make the transition, after the glue holding the cork down is completely dry, I use very coarse #36 sandpaper, wrapped around a block of wood, to feather the cork down to nothing. I usually try to spread the slope over a foot or so, but if space is limited, you can make it shorter. I also have a couple that are longer. With the coarse sandpaper, this takes only a couple of minutes.

Wayne