Questions about Happi Time Train

denmar

Oct 9, 2007
:wave:Hi! I am new to this forum so if I'm not in the right place, I apologize.
I recently acquired a Happi Time Train made by Louis Marx & Co. and sold by Sears, Roebuck & Co. It is a 8 unit scale detail electric train. The engine is approx. 11 inches long. The track is a 3 rail track, 2 in. wide. First does anyone know what year this train would have been manufactured and also a appox. value. It is a complete set but I would like to get more track so that I can run it around the ceiling of my basement. Does anyone know where track can be purchased and also is Lionel track interchangable with this track. Thank you for any help you can give me.:thumb:

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I'm not into Lionel but there are lots of people here who are. Look up a member named Cannonball. He can probably help you out. There is a website called Trainz that handles Lionel and other O gauge hi rail stuff.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
denmar: can we check one thing. Track is measured between the insides of the rails. All the Marx trains I've seen are O gauge (or O27, which is a subset of O) and the distance is 1 1/4". If the distance is 2", it would be Standard gauge which disappeared during WW2.
If it is O gauge, Lionel's O27 track will mate with it exactly. It will also run on any other O gauge 3-rail track, but they may not mate up with it. (If your hobby shop sells other brands, they should know.)
{There is a problem with certain Marx locomotives where the gear comes down right to the wheel flange and they don't like a lot of Lionel switches.}
Look through the O, S, G forum here for Marx.
Google Marx Trains, then discard all the political sites.

denmar

Oct 9, 2007
Thank you! The track measures 1 1/4 in. so an O gauge it is then. Whew! Now I just have to find track! Again thank you so much.