Questions about foam?

Nick8564

Sep 3, 2004
I have read in here that a lot of people use foam under their layout. That would help me a lot. But where do I get it from and what kind? I have seen in here Blue foam, but whats the best in shaping? Thanks

Hookedtrout

Jul 18, 2004
S.E. Idaho
I am in the process of putting down my foam today, just finished my deck. I bought 2" blue foam at my local hardware/lumber store.

I have a few questions myself. What do you use to fill the seams between the sheets of foam. I purchased a tube of foam glue that isn't supposed to melt the foam but I'm guessing this isn't what you use to fill the seams in. I ordered a hot foam cutter that should show any day. I hope I can trim the edges with a razor knife until the hot cutter shows.

Any other advice on foam would be appreciated from me as well.

Hook

Weight is a big issue on my layout with some portable and moveable sections. I've been using DAP lightweight spackling for cracks and to sculpt rock cuts. When they call it light weight, they're not kidding. I thought the can was empty at the store until the clerk opened it to show me.

If the gap is wide enough, I mix some foam shavings with some white glue and fill the crack before covering with the spackle.

Wayne

F

Fred_M

The joints in foam are easily filled with plaster, spackling paste, sculpti-mold, whiteglue and dirt, newspaper and glue, just about anything will work, esp. since you will cover it with grass/dirt/rocks, or something. Some companies makes a special product for almost everything, but most the high tech stuff is easily concocted in the kitchen at a lot less cost. Fred

Hookedtrout

Jul 18, 2004
S.E. Idaho
Weight certainly isn't an issue for me, I was on top of the deck yesterday jumping up and down. It's solid as a rock. I put down my first two sections of foam and glued them down to the bench and I ran a bead of the glue down the seam to see how well it fills. I'll finish putting down the foam today after I run up and get more glue. Doesn't go as far as I thought it would.

Hook

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
I am also in the process of creating my foam formations
I went to the local Hobby Lobby and found huge 3'x6'x3" sheets of potting foam. They come in 6"x12" blocks and many different sizes. i bought 3 sheets and 10 blocks for $5.00 altogether. To hold the foam together I simply place a line of glue on the inside of the sheet about two inches from the edge.
And a large dot on the foam where i am going to place a tooth pick.
then stick tooth picks half way into the bottom sheet then place the top sheet over it. The process leaves no noticable seam and ( I cant seem to get it apart)

Eric

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
No the stuff that comes in such big sheets has a coarser bead/pellet in it and is more tightly packed than blue and pink foam but is much more plieable . Such as you can press your finger in with a little bit of force and it will leave a finger indentation like regular flower foam but i can stand on it and not leave an indentation.

Eric

F

Fred_M

It has been reported that there are two types of floral foam. The dry type is OK. The wet type fall apart to dust over time. Good luck guys. Fred