Question

billk

Here's an area I've been eyeing as a possible permanent layout location. The diagram shows the facing wall of the area - I can come out maybe 40" from it. The sofa and shelves can maybe be moved, but the file cabinet will probably have to stay, and the window obviously cannot be moved (duh). Also I don't think I can get away with covering the window with a backdrop.

Here's the problems:

1. Is the full 125" usable or does the window limit me to using only 77"? If I use the full 125", the window limits me to a height of 44". If you assume a backdrop height of, say 8", that makes the layout at a height of 36", which would be just about 6" or so below eye level (while sitting down, of course.)

2. And what is a reasonable height for a backdrop, anyhow?

3. If I can't take the sofa out of the picture, I'd have to build over it. This would pretty much limit me to the 77" length, right? And I would have to come up with some way to build a 30-36" deep shelf with out any support under it. I've seen "shelving systems" at Menard's, etc., that might work but 24" seems to be the deepest they go. I guess one could rig up some way of extending them. Anyone have any experience/ideas/brainstorms in this area?

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Hi Billik

As for the window, I am up against something similar. I am building the backdrop up to the very edge of the window with the layout continuing about 17" in front of the window. Shall see how that works out.

I'm certainly no expert, but my guess is that the height of the backdrop depends on the terrain of your layout. If you have a mountain that is, say, 14" high, an 8" backdrop behind it would spoil the effect. My guess wouold be to have the backdrop double the highth of the highest point on your layout (buildings included). Another thing might be to not have the top of the backdrop at a consistant height. That would give you some flexability.

And when it comes to a sofa and shelves vs layout size there's no contest :D :D

So much for my 2 cents worth. :)

Clerk

I didn't worry about the window. I just went ahead and built the layout.

Attachments

• 3%20layout%208%3a7.jpg
    3%20layout%208%3a7.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 201

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Looks like a good start Seems like you have a lot of potential there. The window may een give you more of a sense of depth if you incorporate it in the backdrop.

shamus

Registered Member
I blocked off my window altogether, as direct Sunlight fades scenery.

Shamus
waver.gif

Drew1125

Hi Bill!
I guess you need to ask yourself some questions -

1. Do you want to convert the room into a "train room", or do you want the trains to co-exist with the "living space"?

2. What scale do you want to model in?

3. Do you want/need the window to be accessible?

The answers to these will be a big determining factor in what you can, or can't do with the space.
(btw...is there a doorway into this area?)
Just assuming that you want to keep the window, sofa, & file cabinet free & clear, so to speak...I would concentrate on the end of the room with the shelves. Can they be moved? Could you possibly incorporate them into some sort of staging/storage system for the layout? I would think that you could build a nice around-the-wall layout, going from the window, turning to go along the "shelf wall", & then going along the other wall over tio where the sofa is. In N scale, this would be a really nice little area to work in.
Hope this helps...?
Keep us posted!

Drew1125

Hmmmm,
I was thinking it was a floor plan, but maybe you're right Tyson...?
Sorry, Bill...just disregard whatever it was that I said...:rolleyes: :D :eek: :eek: :D

Russ Bellinis

Your bench work does not have to be the same depth all the way around. You can make some parts of the bench work narrow enough to hold only one or two tracks to get from one sceniced part to another. You don't even need to do scenery in front of the window. Just treat that area as a part of the mainline to transition from one scene to another.

billk

I didn't worry about the window. I just went ahead and built the layout.
I have to worry about it, unfortunately.
I blocked off my window altogether, as direct Sunlight fades scenery.
Not an option for me.
Is that a wall plan or floor plan?
It's a wall plan.
You can make some parts of the bench work narrow enough to hold only one or two tracks to get from one sceniced part to another.
Thought of that, but there's no space available on the other side of the window.

Russ Bellinis

Originally posted by billk
I have to worry about it, unfortunately.
Not an option for me.
It's a wall plan.
Thought of that, but there's no space available on the other side of the window.

If there is no space available on the other side of the window, I'd stop at the window. I don't think it makes much sense to use the window space if you can't go beyond it. The exception to this is if you were to put a turn back curve in front of the window without scenery to get a longer mainline run. I'm not sure what all is in the room. You might be able to make a partial portable design to set up as a turn back in front of the window when operationg, and then put away when not in use.