Discussion in 'FAQs' started by LarryGarrett, Feb 6, 2003.

1. LarryGarrett

LarryGarrett New Member

Once a locomotive is set-up for DCC, can it still be run on a track with just a standard transformer (no DCC)?
  2. Clerk

Clerk Active Member

Larry. The only expierence I had was two lifelike SD 7's I got off E Bay. They had the decoder installed by a train shop and when I received them I tried them on a test track. They would not run. I had to take the decoders out and rewire them before they ran properly.

I have seen other post where it was mentioned that some engines that were decoder equiped or had the plug in for decoders would run both ways but I have not seen any myself.
  3. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Larry, No easy answer here. Digitrax decoders will run on Dc, unless someone has programmed them not to. These are the only ones I have first hand experience with. I have several Soundtrax decoders, but never tried them on DC, I have read that they do not work on DC. Likewise, the one NCE decoder I have has never been tried with DC. Perhaps others can say for sure.
  4. marty w.

marty w. Member

A Digitrax decoder comes set from the factory to change automatically from DDC to DC. You can change CV29 to turn that function on or off. I don't know about the other manufacturer's decoders.
  5. Paul Davis

Paul Davis Member

I believe all decoders can be used on DC. I beleive it's a requiremnt of the NRMA standards. I could be wrong though and it probably doesn't mean it has to be set up that way as default.