Question?

shamus

Registered Member
1 - Do you spend far too much time on the computer and not enough time on the model railroad? Or do you split the time?

2 -- Approx. how many hours per week do you spend on the Railroad.

3- What other hobbies do you have?

4 - If you had more time, what other hobby would you do?

5 - Do you "Daydream" of that magical layout someday? or have you already started it?

Shamus

C

Catt

1 - Do you spend far too much time on the computer and not enough time on the model railroad? Or do you split the time?

I split the time sometimes working on small projects while surfing the web.

It varies from one week to the next Some weeks it may be just an hour or two.Then the next week maybe as many as 20 - 30 hours

I also collect diecast cars and trucks in several scales.

I don't have the foggiest idea.

5 - Do you "Daydream" of that magical layout someday? or have you already started it?

Yes to both parts.I daydream about the 0n30 layout I'll build someday,and I've allready started my N scale layout.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict

way too much on computer :)

2 - 4 hrs per month - not enough :(

Antique Car - '72 Catalina - - Photography (Digital)

Work more with the antique car..

YES - I NEED a garden railway - Somebody buy me a house with a huge yard - Quick!!!!! :D :D

~ MIkey

rockislandmike

(1) I try to split the time; I do a lot of other stuff on the computer as well, including one of my other hobbies (see below), so it's difficult to get away from it some times. But even when I'm on it, I'll use waittime to do some painting or assemble a kit.

(2) "Far too many" if you ask my wife. I figure about 8 or so on the layout, another 8 or so working on rolling stock in the house, or doing related research on the computer.

(3) APBA baseball/hockey/golf; Dungeons & Dragons; golf in the summer, volleyball in the winter (although those are more sports than hobbies).

(4) More woodworking, I think; that's been one of the neatest things so far that I've learned how to do. It's much easier than I thought too.

(5) Mostly daydream at this point, although my wife and I have an agreement that the first house we buy (we rent now), I get half the basement. So the current 7x12 layout is set up so that it becomes the center peninsula of my final layout, of which I have draft plans (which I need to revise after all my research of the past couple o' weeks).

Gary Pfeil

1. Most of my time on the computer is spent here at the gauge, a NYC forum, and the Digitrax forum, while at work. Now that I've started to post some photos, I use the computer at home. Funny, my wife seems to regard time spent on the computer at home as taken from her, not the trains! But then, time in the summer is generally ours together, not train time, so she is correct.

2. In the summer, almost none. In the winter, 15 to 20 hours/week

3. No other hobbies, except now a digital camera! My wife and I enjoy hiking and swimming, I play softball and volleyball. We also entertain (read eat and drink) a lot.

4. No idea.

5. I have definately started my dream layout. On a couple of occasions I have considered writing of the experiences and decisions made along the way to the design of that dream. But I wasn't sure it would be of any interest to anyone.

Gary

Xaniel

1 - I try to split. But I'm still a student, and i study computers. I'm going to learn Microsoft Visual Basic. When I'm at home, I try to do something on my layout.

2 - I have the hobbies I like.

3 - Tuning and Car audio.

4 - I have no idea.

5 - I do "daydream". I'm doing a 2' by 4'2 but I want to a layout on a big room.

1- I spend little time on the computer (Most of it at work) and little time on the Railroad,

2- About two hours a week. so, not enough time on either.

3- I watch a lot of motorsports, F1, FIM Rally, CART, ALMS, SBK, Moto-GP, AMA Superbike, AMA Supersport, and Anything local I can get to. I am building a shifter kart. I ride my ZRX 1100 whenever I get the chance. (mostly to and from work but I do get an occasional weekend mornig to go carve the canyons) Fixing up the house is my most time-consuming hobby.

4- I'm sorry, you used an unfamiliar word... time?

5- Daydream occasionally, plans come and go monthly as well as dedicated space. Depends on how many children we have this year and how many people we're planning to have in the house next year. I bide my time by puttering through my little 2.5 x 5 and enjoy it as I go.

Vic

1. I spend way too much time on the computer...Need to quit selling junk on Ebay:D

2. 4-6 hours per week....Not enough:eek:

3. Amateur Radio, Growing Exotic Plants, Vegetable Gardening

4. Might consider Historical Re-enactment.

5. Its already started... :D :)

Do we get some coupons or a free CD for completing this survey?:p :D :D :p

spitfire

1 - It varies from week to week. Right now I'm trying to get outside more.

2 -On average, including research and browsing hobby shops, I'd say I spend about 10 hours per week.

3- Other hobbies: gardening, golf, video games (yeah I know), and painting (ie art)

4 - If I had more time I would definitely play more video games. ;) (I'm kidding - video games are the road to hell!!!!!) I think if I had more *money* I'd take up sailing.

5 - Still dreamin'

(1.)--I split the time about 60/40, with the 60% part working on the railroad

(2.)--In the summer about 10 hours, in the winter about 20 but that can vary greatly depending on my job, othe hobbies and the weather!

(3.)-- Other hobbies I have are (too many!:D ) camping, cooking, fishing, deer hunting, strategy games, American Civil War research, other historical research, a little geneaology, spending time anywhere near the Ocean, vegetable gardening and trying to perfect the world's greatest hot sauce in my kitchen!!!

(4.)-- deep-sea fishing

(5.)-- This is my third layout and won't be my last! It is a learning layout to expand and improve my modeling techniques which will be incorporated into my "dream layout".

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

marty w.

1. - Split time 80/20, 80% working on layout.

2. - In the summer time about 6 hrs/week. In the winter about 25 hrs/week.

3. - Cars ('32 Ford Streetrod, '62 Vette, '32 Bantam Drag racing car), Camping and Fishing.

4. - ?????, Taking a break from cars.

5. - I am building my dream layout now.

Marty

K.V.Div

1.-Currently it is about half and half, as my old layout has been torn down prior to moving and most of my equipment is in storage.
I do have 12 ft of NTrak modules to help me with my time as well as a few projects.

2.-It used to be 2-3 hours per day but is currently closer to 5 hours per week untill I move into my new house.

3.-Fishing, Hunting, Hiking, Shooting, Camping, Gardining, Cooking and Reading (preferably streached out in the shade with a cold beer or rum/vodka cooler in hand:cool:)

4.- I have a habit of making time for my other hobbies as the need arises.

5.-I do daydream about that new layout which I hope to start on sometime in October after the move to the new house is all sorted out (BTW, my layout space is 36ft x 34ft :D :D :D) :) :cool:

Terry - Saanichton, soon to be Shawnigan Lake B.C.:cool:.

billk

1 - Too much time on the computer.

2 - Not much until the household's version of the Railroad Land Grant Act gets approved. Negotiations are underway.

3 - Coach YMCA soccer when in season (spring and fall) otherwise couch potatoing.

4 - Jeez, I don't know.

5 - Do I "daydream" of that magical layout - who doesn't?

shamus

Registered Member
My turn

Lots of interesting hobbies apart from the obvious MR, for my part its

1 - Do I spend far too much time on the computer and not enough time on the model railroad? Or do I split the time?

Well, I spend around 1 hour per day doing the computer work first followed by a cup of Tea. After that its back to the RR room for most of the day. (Beauty of being retired)

2 -- Approx. how many hours per week do I spend on the Railroad?

I spend around 30 hours per week.

3- what other hobbies do you have?

Golf which takes up two days. (Handicap 24 -- BANDIT)

4 - If you i more time, what other hobby would i do?

I would go back into Archery

5 - Do I "Daydream" of that magical layout someday? or have I already started it?

You bet I have started it on many an occasion, but haven’t so far made it. Will do some day...:D

Shamus

1. I spend several hours every day on the computer, but that is partly because I use it for many of my daily activities. I'm NOT a web surfer, however. Don't have time for that. I do run a Rotary list, so that involves quite a bit of email. Therefore, I don't spend much time at all on my RR; but that's ok, since it doesn't exist yet!

2. My railroad time is mostly "think" time, and involves the real thing as well as models. It probably averages less than an hour per day, however.

3. Other hobbies are aviation, music, photography, and amateur radio, in no particular order.

4. I don't need more time, I just need to be able to be in more than one place at the same time!

5. Yes, I daydream of my layout and I'm close to putting it on paper, at least. Actually, I already have lots of rolling stock, just nothing on which to run it.

Drew1125

1.) The answer to this question is a tentative yes from me, & a resounding HELL YES! from my lovely wife. :D ;) :p

2.) I probable average in the neighborhood of 6-10 hours a week in the train room ...this doesn't necessarily entail doing anything constructive...it might be running some trains, tinkering aimlessly with 2 or 3 projects at the workbench, or just sitting, & staring into space. :D

3.) In addition to modeling, I like playing, & recording my own music. I'm also a bit of a film buff, & my wife & I enjoy traveling, exploring, & researching local history.

4.) There are never enough hours in the day to suit me.:mad: :rolleyes:

5.) All model RR's are "magical" to me, & I'm always daydreaming about the one I'm working on, & new & better ones. :)