Question

Narrow MInded

Dec 30, 2006
Hello One and All. I have a question for the seasoned model railroaders on this board. In my room I have a 9+" ledge around the room. What gauge would be best suited for a layout of this size. I am considering regular HO because I already have a lot of rolling stock for that gauge however I love the Maine Two-footers and I was thinking that HOn2 would fit better. If anyone here has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I am not sure how much "Xn2" stuff you might find, whether X=HO or any other scale.

Since the ledge is up near the ceiling, have you considered On3, On2 1/2 or On2? If you like the Maine two-footers, see if you can find articles by Trevor Marshall - he's a Toronto based On2 modeller who frequently contributes to Canadian Railway Modeller.

Andrew

Narrow MInded

Dec 30, 2006
A bit of clarification

Actually the ledge is around the room at 3 feet up from the floor with a 9" shelf. I was thinking a small HO gauge tourist railroad would be cool. Thank you though

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
My bad :eek:ops:

I figured it was near the ceiling so suggested a bigger scale so it did not get "lost". But with the shelf lower down, HO would be good. You could even do a narrow gauge N scale if you wanted to get some operational capacity in there. (9" = 120 Nscale feet - quite a bit of real estate!)

But a tourist line circling the room with some nice New Engalnd scenery would be good too. You may have to add a bit to the corners to allow for a wider radius curve, but it would definitely be do-able.

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I've seen a coupe of layouts built that way, both in HO or OO. The shelf was actually built into the wall so that there was a step at that point but the layout was integrated into the room. These were only 4 to 6" wide. There was minimal scenery.
How much space do you have in the crners for turns? How much can you take? If you like the n2 size, you might think of On30; I was just reading a review of some On30 Forneys.