Question re:logging articulated

jcurts

About 10-12 years ago I purchased some cute cheap, 125 bucks per, brass logging articulated locos. I soon got rid of them for other reasons but can't remember what they were. For some reason I thought they were 2-4-4-2's but can't establish that fact.

Could be CRS has me collared.

These were supposedly representative of some Oregon logging equipment. The name Little River?? comes to mind.

I bought them in Beaverton Oregon at Tammies Hobbies and had to go through several of them to get 4 that ran properly but those were totally satisfactory. I always accused them of just putting the returns back on the shelf. Not a popular claim, of course.

A situation is coming up where I could possibly use a couple of them.

Does anyone have a clue to what these may have been?

Thanks

Jim Curts owner - Box-a-Rocks & Pile-o-Sticks RailRoads

shamus

Registered Member
Hello Jim,
Welcome to the gauge,
The only ones that come to my mind were 2-6-6-2 - 2-6-6-0 - 2-6-6-2T these were articulated, the 2-6-6-2 coal tender and the 2-6-6-2T was a tank.
Not seen a 2-4-4-2, anyone else seen one?

Shamus

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jim,
Little river had a 2-4-4-2, a Baldwin. I believe it is still at a railroad museum in the Seattle area. The March 1962 Model Railroader had photos and an HO scale drawing of the engine.
To my knowledge there were three models of this loco produced.
Gem ran it in 1962 in brass, in HO scale. It came out in the "powerhouse" series, brass, and cast metal combined,in HO scale, and I have seen an O scale version in brass.
Little River RR # 148, became Columbia River Belt Line Railway
"skookum", and then Deep River Logging Co. #7.
DRL#7 ended up on her side because of a broken rail, and was left behind when the track was pulled up. She was dissasembled and moved to Seattle around 1960.
I aquired a Gem in 1968, and had to do some serious rebuilding of the gearing to get it to run. It still runs well and is one of my favorite locos.
Pete

jcurts

Thanks, there for a while I thought I may have to go in for a checkup. Couldn't find any of the locals that recognized what I was talking about.

I like the little locos, hence the small articulateds and the 0-4-0's, etc. . I realize they are not powerhouses but sure look neat leading a couple or three shorty mine ore cars off a bluff and shrilling around a 9 or 12 inch curve (0-4-0's that is). I don't use these curves for uphill incidently but only downgrade movements.

Thanks again

Jim Curts owner Box-a-Rocks & Pile-o-Sticks RailRoads

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jim,
I scanned a couple of photos of the model 2-4-4-2, I'll try this,,,

Attachments

• littleriv1.jpg
    littleriv1.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 85