Question on switches

Discussion in 'FAQs' started by liquidskin, Nov 10, 2005.

1. liquidskin

liquidskin New Member

Hey everyone.. Im quite new to trains, so please bear with me!

I recently picked up a Lionel set (1997 NJ Transit with O-27 track)..

I have a setup in mind that requires 2 switches, a RH and a LH.. What I want to do is have it rigged so that when I press one switch button, it switches BOTH of the switches. I had my eye on 2 K-line switches, but I was told I could not accomplish this with those models..

Can anyone suggest a switch that I CAN accomplish this with? Keep in mind Im on a fairly small budget. If someone could also explain how I would do this, it'd be great.. If its not possible, I guess I can just go with manual switches, but Id really like to go with remote ones.. I think id get more out of it.

Thanks guys.
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

It should be easy to accomplish with any switch that doesn't have the wires permanently attached. Lionel's all seem to have binding posts; you should just need to find which two control the direction and then hook them together.
    The Marx switches I had in the 50s were the same.
    (Classic Toy Trains had an article on interesting operations using this feature in the second last issue.)
  3. liquidskin

liquidskin New Member

4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

That looks like the set. You could wire it up standard and pull both controls at once or just use one and wire the switches together.
  5. boppa

boppa Member

for anyone who knows basic electronics its so easy its not funny..
    in fact any combinations (route setting) or single point setting-in either tortouse or double magnet-in fact the cheaper double magnetic coil points are far easier to do a multipule(route) setting

google a `diode matrix' or i can tell you how to set up a slip setting up to 128 points in multipule routes

i know some people arent electronic whizs-but sometimes i wonder at the replies people post about electronics tho