Question on Peco turnouts

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Ash, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Ash

Ash New Member

I'm getting back in to rr modeling after several years away and I'm starting a new layout. I will be using Atlas flex track. I am trying to decide if Peco turnouts are worth the extra money and whether the rubber roadbed is better than cork? Any experience with these and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I used bachmann ez track on my first layout. I experienced frequent derailments (mostly at turnouts), uncouples at grade changes and didn't have the flexibility I wanted.

2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Peco makes some of the best turnouts. If you are going to operate them namually, the centering spring is great for locking the turnout in one position or the other, and not letting the turnout just sit in the middle causing a derailment.

Regarding rubber road bed, which kind are you talking about. There is a rubber composite material made by Woodland Scenics that seems a lot like cork except it is rubber. There is also the uncured rubber roadbed offered by AMI in rolls. I don't know about either one, but have seen quite a few folks here on the Gauge who have tried the AMI stuff and didn't like it becuase it was so sticky that it picked up a lot of dirt before they could ballast and seal it.
  3. Ash

Ash New Member

Thanks Russ, I will want to operate the turnouts remotely or with DCC. I had a some trouble with my bachmann ez turnouts causing derailments. I'm looking for something more reliable. Is there a switch machine available for the Peco turnouts?
  4. Buddog

Buddog Member

There are two tyes of switch machine the one I call the "BUZZ" it is a small one made buy Peco that is very loud when it snaps to place. I use them one my first layout and hated it I have removed themfrom all my switchs and am going to use the tortoise machine (can't rember the Manufacter) a bit more expensive but I have seen them work great and no BUZZ

5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

As best I remember, all my turnots are Peco. For my previous layout, I ordered "one of everything" from our dealer, then had to design a layout to use them.
    I use all sorts of switch machines with them. The peco ones are the easiest as they either clip on the bottom of the TO or mount under the baseboard. (For the latter, Peco make and extended pin machine.) The other extreme are the Tortoise which screw under the baseboard and are slo-mo machines. You do have to remove the spring from the turnouts. I've used other twin coil machines, but you have to make some sort of hook-up mechanism for these.
    I've found a few problems with Peco code 100 crossings being a bit slack in the flangeways and some rolling stock thinks they are slip switches. The code 75 track seems to have the bugs out. I haven't tried the code 83.
    I've used rubber roadbed by gluing the track down. Cork might be better if you want to spike; it's definitely better if you handlay.
  6. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

The Tortoise is made by Circutron. I'm not sure if it is better to remove the springs from the Peco turnouts when you power them up with switch machines or not. I think with a slow motion machine like the Tortoise, it would work better with the springs removed.
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If you use a Tortoise with a Peco turnout, You find that the wire that comes with the motor isn't always strong enough to move the Peco points. Then If it does or you replace it with stronger wire, the points zap over rather than moving gently. The cure is to remove the spring and that's not much trouble. On the HO turnout, there's a metal clip and the prongs can be pried up and the clip moved so that the spring either comes out or isn't as strong.
    The spring is really only needed if you use a switch machine that doesn't have a lock e.g. peco, or if you don't use a machine i.e. finger power.