Question on Peco Turnouts (N Scale)

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
I'm currently in the layout planning stages but I had a question on turnouts for a yard. I have a lot of Peco Code 55 Medium Radius and Large Radius left and right hand turnouts. To help with space, I was considering using Small Radius turnouts in the yard. Will modern 6 axle locos and modern rolling stock negotiate the small radius turnouts? Anyone know what radius they actually are??

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
Been there, tried that.
I have tried the Peco C80 trunouts in the small radii, and they are roughly 9" radius. A Kato SD40-2 *the mainstay of my BN fleet* will not negotiate it, no matter what speed. The truck wheelbase is just too long.
As for uses? Restrict the area to only 4-axles, or if you don't want restrictions, lay the med. radii turnouts, and you can run everything from SD90MACs to SW9's.

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
That's what I needed to know. I do have some 4 axle locos (Dash 8's, B23-7's) but I still want my mainline SD70MAC's, Dash 9's and SD40-2's to be able to make the turns too.

Thanks.

Agatheron

Nov 8, 2003
Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I can't believe I can actually answer a question instead of asking one! :)

I happened to be reading the November 2003 Model Railroader, which happens to have all sorts of N-Scale track statistics... At least according to that article, Peco makes 3 different sizes of turnouts... the Small, as you've already talked about at a 9" radius, Medium at 18" radius (slightly smaller than Atlas' Standard turnout), and the Large radius at 36". All three of these are of the "diverging curve" variety. If you want to check it out, look at page 95 in the November MR issue...

I have another question regarding turnouts, but I'll post it in my thread asking about track... Don't want to hijack this thread :)

Hoss

Nov 10, 2003
TEXAS
Visit site
Hmmmm...conflicting information....that link someone posted in your "track and stuff" thread indicated that there was a different radius between Code 55 and Code 80, with C55 being 12" and C80 being 9". The medium and large radius turnouts show the same regardless of rail height.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
You can find several web sites that say that the C55 and C80 small radius turnouts are 12" and 9" radius, respectively, including dealer's sites (Walther's, for example). I sincerely believe that this is the case. (Even though it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.)

swissjohn

Jan 3, 2003
Cheshire, England
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
Hi from the land of Peco turnouts !!! (England)

I have used all types of Peco N-scale turnouts for many years.

Please disregard anything you may have read to the contrary............ I can state without doubt that Code 80 small radius turnouts are 9" and Code 55 small radius turnouts are 12"

The code 80 small radius turnouts, although compatible, have never really been regarded by Peco as part of the Code 80 "Streamline" range of turnouts and Flexitrack. These very sharp radius turnouts are actually part of the "Setrack" sectional track range.

The Code 80 "Streamline" range does not really have a small radius turnout, only medium, large, "Y" and of course the curved variety.

Hope this helps.
John.