Question on making bricks

mhdishere

Feb 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
One of the major industries on my planned layout will (hopefully) be a foundry. Since none of the commercial kits suit me I'll probably end up scratch building. Since I'm frugal (OK, cheap) and I've seen some great work one in cardboard here on the Gauge, I thought I'd probably build in cardboard, but I want it to look like brick. What's out there that I could attach to the cardboard to look like brick? The best solution for me would be bricks I could print on my printer, make as much as I want for the cost of paper and ink. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
On suggestion I have seen is to go to Design Preservation Models and download their templates, at the every bottom of the page on the "HO Modular system". If you are really ambitious, you could download the pictures of the sections you need and print them out in colour.

There have also been a few posts here by people who have .gifs or .jpgs of brick texture. A search will turn them up.

Andrew

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
another

The one that I used on my last building (see "latest project" in this forum) is too larg a file to post here. If you are interested I can PM it. For this project I covered the brick with a light grey transparent box to soften the orange tone. I load the pic into a MSWord document and reduce the size of the photo to what appears to fit the scale. You may have to print it a couple of times to compare it with some reference. In my case I use a N-scale brick building that I put together a few years ago as the reference. Then I just copy and paste the photo into a full sheet of brick and print it on either paper or, as I did for the latest project, file folder card stock. The problem I have with paper siding is that the cardboard base that you attach it to generally warps after gluing. I pressed my latest walls under heavy shelves sandwiched between wax paper and got some relief. My next test is to try a spray adhesive on the siding before applying it to the building.

Admin - can you delete this post? Dupe of next one. Thanks

Attachments

• brickwall.jpg
    brickwall.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 175

davidstrains

Aug 29, 2002
Stafford, VA
Visit site
another

The one that I used on my last building (see "latest project" in this forum) is too large a file to post here. If you are interested I can PM it. For this project I covered the brick with a light grey transparent box to soften the orange tone. I load the pic into a MSWord document and reduce the size of the photo to what appears to fit the scale. You may have to print it a couple of times to compare it with some reference. In my case I use a N-scale brick building that I put together a few years ago as the reference. Then I just copy and paste the photo into a full sheet of brick and print it on either paper or, as I did for the latest project, file folder card stock. The problem I have with paper siding is that the cardboard base that you attach it to generally warps after gluing. I pressed my latest walls under heavy shelves sandwiched between wax paper and got some relief. My next test is to try a spray adhesive on the siding before applying it to the building.

Attachments

• brickwall.jpg
    brickwall.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 174

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
I tried to print the backgrounds or "brick samples" if you will... with minimal sucess.... I ended up using a texurizing medium and mixing it with paint. I brushed it on trying to make lines so it can replicate brick... it is not 100% but hey... from far away it looks ok :)
t.JPG

t2.JPG