Question of the day 11-09, who do you know?

Discussion in 'The Caboose' started by ezdays, Nov 9, 2006.

1. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Today's question, there are lots of famous or well-known people in this hobby. Writers, modelers, manufacturers, so we are asking you:

Do you know or have you ever met any famous or well-known personalities in the hobby? If so, who and how did you get to meet them?
  2. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

Ottawa is home to at least two modellers who have graced the pages of Great Model Railroads and/or Model Railroad Planning in recent years. I have operated Mike Hamer's Boston & Maine on several occasions. Jacques Thuot's Northern Timber Company makes a regular appearance at the local modular club as well (

Both are fantastic guys, and very skilled modellers. The Ottawa area has produced many other equally excellent modellers whose work has been in the pages of RMC, MR, and so on - Ron Newby, Michael Boucher, Colin Churcher, Trevor Marshall (now in Toronto), Marty Phillips (now west coast), and more I am sure I am forgetting - so I apologise for that.

3. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

How about Niel Young. I loaded equipment for Crazy Horse and later got to meet him. He wasnt a big deal back then, not like today.
  4. MasonJar

Very cool! Did you happen to see his trains/layout? ;)

5. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Now that's cool Gil. I understand he developed some adaptive switches to run a layout for his son.
  6. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

The only person that I've met outside of here that has published works is Vern Niner (Warbonnet Fan on Atlas). He's had quite a few picture and how-to articles in N Scale mags. I've been to his layout a few times before he dismantled it and went over to narrow-gauge.
  7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

announce1 Check out shaygetz on Google and I not one?:D :rolleyes: :thumb:
  8. MasonJar

Good point! :oops:

There are a number of Gaugers who have published material, the esteemed Shaygetz among them...! :thumb: :thumb:

9. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Note in my post the statement, "outside of here". The word "here", includes many regulars on the Gauge. There's bunches of members here that are famous in one respect or the other and I didn't want to slight any of them by mentioning some but not others.:wave: :wave:

I knew you'd understand....:D :D
  10. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Famous folks only see things our way....:thumb: :D :rolleyes:
  11. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

If you go to NMRA conventions (or similar) you can quite easily meet a number of names. At the Toronto one, my wife sat next to Allan McClelland of the V&O and then we had dinner with Milt (Thumbs) Moore. At a previous one, we were on a bus trip with Jack Work. I may have talked to Hal Carstens and Bill Walthers, but I don't remember now.
    My sister-in-law is into country music and she knows famous people that I've never even heard of.
  12. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I would take "famous" to mean famous outside of the hobby, like Neil Young, Mel Torme, Michael Gross, Gary Coleman, et al. I seldom run in the same circles as the rich and famous any more, so there are none with whom I'm acquainted.:rolleyes: :D

13. MasonJar

Well, in that case, I'd say the guys I mentioned are not famous, but probably well known personalities (at least within the hobby).

As far as famous... I don't think I even know anybody who knows anybody who's famous... ;) :D hamr

14. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

No, there are many "famous" people in the hobby, that's why I asked, " the hobby..." :D :D I've never run in the same circles and any of the "righ and famous", I've met a few by virtue of my security business, but these aren't the ones that we're interested in right now.:wave: :wave: For instance, right now I'd classify Mike Wolf from MTH as famous, wouldn't you?:thumb: :thumb:
  15. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Don, I'd certainly agree that Mike would be famous as far as we, as model railroaders, are concerned, but he's hardly a household name. I thought that you meant people who are famous to the general population, and who also happen to be model railroaders, as are the names that I mentioned.
    Lex Parker, a very well-known modeller locally, and one living not to far from me, was mentioned recently in a lifestyle magazine that's distributed in our area. However, the mention was in connection with his job as an architect/designer, and the average-Joe would have no inkling of his hobby connections. His layout has appeared in Model Railroader and other magazines. When I pointed out this facet of him to my wife, she was "underwhelmed":rolleyes:.

16. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

That's a good point,I wish I thought of that first. But like us, I would think that most people here don't cross paths with too many celibratires regardless of whether they're into model RR or not. I don't even go to grand openings when they say that someone famous will be there.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Although I might go to a train show if they said that one of the writer/editors from Model Railroader was going to be there.:wave: :wave:
  17. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I met Micheal Gross at a train show. He was selling off his collection of ho trains. Now that he is doing his railroading in a 12 inches to the foot scale, he doesn't have time for the models. He did say that real railroading paid more than model railroading.
  18. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I met Jim Wrinn (Head Man at TRAINS magazine) acccidentally! I was wondering why the Niles Canyon's Alco 2-6-2T was blowing it's whistle in town, and I ran down the street, and I was invited to hop aboard, and we traveled up the canyon, Jim at the throttle! It was a heckuva lot of fun, and Wish I could do that again that's who I've met! :thumb:
  19. santafewillie

santafewillie Member

When I was in my teens back in the sixties, my dad took me over to see a model railroad owned by a newspaper writer named Bill McClellan (or it might have been McClannhan) whose name I later saw in some MRR articles. About eight years ago I met Andy Sperandeo, an editor of MRR, at a train show in Ft. Worth. About three months later I met Emmitt Smith, of the Dallas Cowboys, now a dancer, while on a home layout tour connected with another train show in Plano TX.
  20. railohio

railohio Active Member

I do hope you have all washed your hands since you met these people... :rolleyes: