Question for the future...

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by shoki2000, Dec 25, 2004.

1. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

It seemed to me that here will be the best place to raise this topic.
    GreMir Models is getting ready to put out a really big ship in 1:200 scale.
    Problem is that on the standard size paper decks would have to be divided into relatively small pieces to fit...
    Solution would be to place those parts on a bigger size paper, e.a. 11x17 but this leads to different problem - availability of 11x17 cardstock.

What would you preffer as model builders. Smaller sections of the decks fit on the 8.5x11 cardstock, or larger sections but you would need to obtain 11x17 cardstock...

Please, don't ask what kind of model I'm talking about. For the moment all I can say is that it will be big and very interesting 8)
  2. barry

barry Active Member

Smaller sections are stronger than long ones to me so my vote is standard size please.

3. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

With the same number of formers, longer sections allow you to avoid unnecessary connecting lines, especially on the decks....
  4. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

My vote would be smaller sections since although I can probably get hold of a larger sheet, I'm pretty sure my printer can't handle one that size.
    I would vote, therefore, for the smaller sections.

5. cardfan

cardfan Member

My thoughts were the same as Jims. I don't know how many people have access to a large format printer or ready access to larger sheets of card stock. While all of the ship models I have done so far have seams in the deck, I'm not sure they are that noticeable, not in the overall look of the model.
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I agree with the rest A4 or letter size. It works well for digital navy from what I can see of the builds.
  7. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Mike

Yup the small stuff works for me as well.

8. mhaas2

mhaas2 Member

Mike, I agree with the rest. I have the smaller paper/cardstock. Lets keep it the same unless it is REALLY noticable.
  9. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

OK, so I'm probably not into the particular model you're discussing. Just a general note on larger paper formats and printers.

The problem is NOT the printer, if it's just the length of the paper that is a problem. You can print inordinately long sheets on a common ink-jet printer, as long as the width is not greater than standard A4 or Letter.

Just set up a custom paper size in the appropriate print format menu.

This is most useful when you build large models, either because you've scaled an existing model, or - as in Michael's case - you're designing a really big model.

Michael, if the model you're designing will be in electronic format, you could go the whole hog and provide small parts AND an alternative big part, with a few words of what paper size to set the printer up for, if the larger parts are used.

The next problem, of course, is to get the larger paper sizes. If you have an artist's shop around, or even a well-stocked paper shop, you can buy large sheets of paper and cut them up already in the shop to the correct max width for an ordinary printer (which will be around 21,5 cm), in order to get it home safely in an ordinary bag, while the length of the paper sheets will end up around 46 cm or something like that.

Very useful, I recommend the exercise highly, if only to get the glorious feeling of having beaten some seemingly inexorable limit.

10. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I did some research and it seems that obtaining larger card stock is not really a problem. carriers Wausau's Exact 110# Index White 11x17 inches - $16.74 for 250 sheets.
    Problem hoever is with the ability to print on this stock since most people can print only on A4/ Letter size paper.
    Solution suggested by Leif will work only with ship sides, not with decks.
    With a big ship decks tend to be not only long but wide as well....

It seems that I will have to stay with the proven sheet size and divide parts to fit on them...
    And as much as I like the idea of me designing this model, It is not true. Model will be designed by somebody much better suited for this task :D
  11. Square

Square Member

Sounds like a carrier :)
  12. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

Just to throw something else into the mix. How about 8.5" x 14" size? Known in the states as 'Legal Size. I have no idea as to availability but the size will go through a letter size printer. Food for thought.
  13. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

250 sheets of legal size 110# cartd stock runs for about $10.75, available at

legal size could be a solution to this dilemma - gang, how do you feel about that?
  14. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Sound okay to me...I have a good stock of legal size for use with printing out A4 sized prints as it is. If it helps with the construction design, I say go for it.

I am intrigued about what this model will be. 8)

Can you give us a little hint, like from what era? :wink:

15. mhaas2

mhaas2 Member

Legal size will work for me. I just have to buy it. For the right project I will.
  16. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

World war 2 of course :D
  17. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi all

Well here is what I hope its??

A 1/200 IJN AKAGI

The reason for this one: -

As far as I know the only large model of her is in 1/300
    Mike has a things for all IJN ships and Aircraft
    Most other carriers have been done in 1/200 (I think) :roll:
    It would have a lot of joints in the deck at the smaller size papers/card

Plus at this size it would be very impressive!!
    And the last reason is I would like one :lol: :lol:

Just my thoughts

18. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Stop guessing.
    Project is a few months out and the question at hand is paper size...

When the time comes I will give you a glimpse on the build and then ask you to guess what it is 8)
  19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

OK OK we'll stop guessing, I promise not to hazard even a small guess, or prod or cajol or whine or simper even if you get asked is it a carrier, or hybrid battleship carrier, you don't have to answer or hint, OK OK just throw us a bone why don't you. I know, how 'bout a marraige of Roman's Yamato hull to another designer's uppers to make the Shinano.
  20. andrewthewise

andrewthewise Member

Hello Michael,

Just a quick note from New Zealand, I have a VERY hard job getting legal size paper, let along card-stock... seems even harder for me to get legal size then it is for you guys to get A4....

I am building Romans' Fuso... (84 cm long) he has divided the deck into four sections... i have no problem with that - his models also print onto letter and A4...

Possibly you could have different versions for the decks... A3, A4, legal etc... just a thought