Question for Lionel fans

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Mike R, Mar 25, 2002.

1. Mike R

Mike R Member

Hello Lionel fans. I have a question for those of you who attend train shows. Do you think there is any market at such shows for built-up semi-scale wood trestles to fit Lionel O Gauge track...?
    They would be made to fit both straight sections, and the larger curves [#O72 and #O42 ]. They would be about 10" high at the center area, and be mounted on a wood and foamcore base.
    Thanks and regards/Mike
  2. Brian C

Brian C New Member

Although I don't go to train shows, I have worked in model train retail before. I have noticed that, in this hobby, there seems to be a buyer for almost any product you could think of. Therefore, I'm inclined to say "Go for it." Worst case scenario, you lose an afternoon and the fee for renting table space at a train show.
    Good luck to you.

3. Catt

Catt Guest

Mike you just might fine you have a market from scalers too.I know several scalers and hi railers around here who would be interested in something like your trestles.
  4. Mike R

Mike R Member

Thanks very much Brian C, and Catt, for the words of encouragement. My post was back at the end of March, and I had pretty well thought there would be no answer, let alone two positive ones. Just goes to show that you can never assume a post has expired.
    Your combined comments are going to 'kick-start' me to take my drawings and sketches to the wood cutting phase. Thanks again, and best regards..../ Mike
  5. Catt

Catt Guest

Mike would have replied much earlier than this ,but my interest in things of the 0 scale/gauge persuasion is just really getting started.I am at heart a true to the bone N scaler with an 0n30 inclination and an HO habitual defender.:D
  6. Mike R

Mike R Member

I will have some custom trestles and wood deck truss bridges at the Brampton, Ontario, Canada train show Oct 5-6 2002.
    Three Lionel units and one G scale.
    Thanks again for the encouragement.
  7. pcentral

pcentral Member

Hi Mike,
    Check out this website, They make bridges, platforms, loading docks, etc. for G gauge. They are located here in CA and I have seen them at alot of train shows, always selling alot of stuff. So if they can do it sucessfully I'm sure you can too. I personally build my own projects as I have the tools, but there are many people who will buy it pre-built. Best of luck in your endeavor. Steve
  8. Mike R

Mike R Member

Thanks Steve...the website is very interesting, and I appreciate your comments.
    Best regards
  9. Mike R

Mike R Member

Trying a picture post for first time....Lionel 40" trestle / bridge combination :
    [if this doesnt work, maybe someone could advise me how to do it?] thanks / Mike

Attached Files:

10. Mike R

Mike R Member

And this is 16" [64'] Lionel deck truss;

Attached Files:

11. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Very nice work Bridgeman!
  12. PRSLou

PRSLou Member

Very nice! In fact I wouldn't mind having something like this for my layout...

I am a 3-rail ogauger myself, and work with Lionel/MTH/K-Line/Weaver trains.
  13. Mike R

Mike R Member

PRSLou:...would be glad to build whatever you would choose. If you contact me at I would send more info. Thanks & regards / Mike