Question for detailers

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by SeriousSam, May 3, 2007.

  1. SeriousSam

    SeriousSam Member

    Sup errone. Im wondering what is the best filler you guys use on your models. Lets say you are adding some BLMA or GMM details such as grab irons, and you accidentally make the hole in the wrong place. What I have used for a while is Testors clear plastic cement, push it from the inside of the shell out, and then file it to make it even with the smooth shell surface. It works ok, since its very thick and does not get really hard like super glue. But I am looking to try something different. What do yall think? Thanks
  2. N Gauger

    N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

    I just never make holes where i don't want them! :roll: :roll:

    But seriously....... i use green airplane putty. Same technique, take a bit and push out from inside... Let it harden (Usually in a few hours, then sand to match the surface and then paint.....

    Almost every time, I get a repair that can't be seen :wink: :wink: :wink: from 4 ft away :D
  3. SeriousSam

    SeriousSam Member

    show ok, green airplane putty is another option. thanks for the help.
  4. MasonJar

    MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

    I assume this is holes in styrene models, not resin kits or metal...?

    If you drill the hole even bigger :)eek: ) you can fill it with styrene rod. You can also make your own custom fit plug by heating and stretching sprues or other leftover parts. The resulting tapered piece will fit the hole at some point - then you just trim it inside and out. If you have appropriate coloured sprues, you may not have too much touch up to do...! ;)

  5. Squidbait

    Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

    I usually use Squadron green putty, Testors putty or Bondo. They all work pretty well, and finish pretty easily.
  6. doctorwayne

    doctorwayne Active Member

    I use the rod, as Andrew suggested, or, if the holes are square or rectangular, for kit parts that I don't wish to place in that location, styrene strip. Pick the filler piece over-size to the hole, then use solvent cement on both the filler and the hole. Once everything has softened slightly, jam the filler in place, let cure, slice off, and repaint. Filler putty is meant for filling surface irregularities, not for filling holes.:) You can use it for this purpose if you first plug the hole from the rear, but it's still a lot more work to get a smooth finish. Properly plugged, it's possible to reposition the new hole within the repaired area, or spanning the joint between the repair and the original material.

  7. myltlpny

    myltlpny Member

    I've used the Squadron putty before, but never bondo. Sounds messy.
  8. Squidbait

    Squidbait Recovering ALCO-holic

    I use the Bondo Spot & Glazing putty. It's rusty brown, and gives a very smooth finish.
  9. jbaakko

    jbaakko Active Member

    I've got Squadron Green & white putty, & the Testors also.
  10. Renovo PPR

    Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Share This Page